[SOLVED] PSU passes paper clip test but does not turned on plugged into pc.

jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
I just installed the MPG z390 edge ac mother board and an i7-9700k cpu and my gtx 1080 ti. my psu is the cx750m and it passes the paper clip test but when plugged into my pc it does not turn on at all, no fans spin, no lights, nothing. everything seemed to be plugged in correctly and i even tried with only plugging in the ATX and cpu power still nothing. what do i do?

Solution
I would not try to turn on that motherboard again, damage could propagate. if a power controller fried it could overvolt and blow other devices.
something on the motherboard fried. if you can return it I would.
Make sure the switch on the PSU is turned on, and the wall socket as well. Make sure you are plugging in the CPU or EPS power connector as CPU power, not PCI-E. Reseat the RAM, make sure it is in the correct slots as per motherboard manual.

Also make sure that the CPU fan cable is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not in any other fan header.

jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
i
Make sure the switch on the PSU is turned on, and the wall socket as well. Make sure you are plugging in the CPU or EPS power connector as CPU power, not PCI-E. Reseat the RAM, make sure it is in the correct slots as per motherboard manual.

Also make sure that the CPU fan cable is plugged into the CPU_FAN header and not in any other fan header.
i checked, everything’s seemed right, i notice the ram was in the wrong spot i fixed its still not working.

jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
remove the 1080ti and try booting from the iGPU if the PSU cannot handle the load it might boot with the 1080 out of the equation.
the CX 750, does it have a green label?
no it has a greyish label, also i just tried pressing the power button on my pc and when i only have the ATX and CPU power plugged in it turns on for a split second

jeffboy123

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
ok so i tried turning it on and my mother board started smoking so i turned off and i couldn’t really see where it was coming from. after looking at the motherboard afterwards it looks the chip next to the system fan is what started smoking. do you know why?? is my motherboard fried?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I would not try to turn on that motherboard again, damage could propagate. if a power controller fried it could overvolt and blow other devices.
something on the motherboard fried. if you can return it I would.

Solution