[SOLVED] PSU with one PCI-E and two connections vs two PCI-E cables

Ollie_88

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Hi,

Just a quick general question. The GPU I am looking at, the RTX 3070, needs two 8 pin connections. I have a PSU with one PCI-E cable with two 6+2 pin connectors on the end. Will this suffice? Or do GPUs with two 8 pin connections need more than one PCI-E cable? Or is one cable with two connections enough?

Thanks guys

Edit: Does my Corsair CV650w PSU have the right connectors to power the RTX 3070?

Solution
In your comment abvoe. You said that the 2x8pin connectors on one cable isn't the issue. Could you expand? Basically, my question was to understand the difference between one cable and two.
The original FE cards had the 12 pin connector and came with a adapter. The aftermarket cards come with regular connectors.

To answer your question look in the manual that came with the power supply it should tell you how many watts are safe to use a single cable with 2 X 6+2 pin connectors.

This can very depending on wire gauge and length.

EDIT just for reference my Seasonic said 225 watts.
Interesting, after the *** idea of Nvidia announcing GPUs that require 12-pin connectors (...), some versions with 2x8 appear in my country, too. (I say this bearing in mind I am an Nvidia fanboy, but I don't support inadequacy)
What is the Brand and model of this one? It's most likely the conventional 220 W TDP and your PSU should work, though there are better PSUs ideas, but at least this is Corsair. The fact that the 2x8-pin connectors are on one ''cable'' is not the main problem here.

Ollie_88

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Interesting, after the *** idea of Nvidia announcing GPUs that require 12-pin connectors (...), some versions with 2x8 appear in my country, too. (I say this bearing in mind I am an Nvidia fanboy, but I don't support inadequacy)
What is the Brand and model of this one? It's most likely the conventional 220 W TDP and your PSU should work, though there are better PSUs ideas, but at least this is Corsair. The fact that the 2x8-pin connectors are on one ''cable'' is not the main problem here.
It is funny isn't it? Was quite surprised when I saw a few cards without the conventional 12 pin connector...

It's the ASUS Dual RTX 3070.

Was quite surprised when I saw a few cards without the conventional 12 pin connector

Me too. ASUS are at least partially an adequate brand... I think the first one I saw around here was exactly from ASUS, but the price of the retailer was bad. And after it, regular prices appeared.
This is techpowerup's link and info:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-dual-rtx-3070.b8032
And, as you can see, all values are similarly to stock things, 220 W TDP, no initial overclocks or something. It's just dimensions, something in outputs and connectors being the difference, so it should work, despite Corsair's CX and RM PSUs being better.

Ollie_88

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Me too. ASUS are at least partially an adequate brand... I think the first one I saw around here was exactly from ASUS, but the price of the retailer was bad. And after it, regular prices appeared.
This is techpowerup's link and info:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-dual-rtx-3070.b8032
And, as you can see, all values are similarly to stock things, 220 W TDP, no initial overclocks or something. It's just dimensions, something in outputs and connectors being the difference, so it should work, despite Corsair's CX and RM PSUs being better.
In your comment abvoe. You said that the 2x8pin connectors on one cable isn't the issue. Could you expand? Basically, my question was to understand the difference between one cable and two.

I won't be, no.

Then I think you can be calm, at least partially. Nobody will put two pciE cables onto one thing that wouldn't resist, bearing in mind there are more watts-wasting gpus before this PSU's been made, like even just a 780 TI. While I don't have this PSU in my hands, I know it should be working in a correct way, also to mention it's better than the previous equivalent gen. of Corsair (VS650). If you don't OC, then I see no issues. I wonder if it is exactly 'one cable', as maybe this varies from supply to supply, but even this shouldn't be a problem here if it's this way.

Your main problem is, that you'd be putting a bottom-line PSU with a top-notch GPU, but I guess you'll change your PSU after some time - half an year or as you decide, at least temporarily you can use the GPU this way. The only thing that may happen there, is the PSU to die faster, though it still should resist the warranty period, at least. It wouldn't fry something, and I don't believe it 'd fail to supply the 220 watts.

Ollie_88

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Then I think you can be calm, at least partially. Nobody will put two pciE cables onto one thing that wouldn't resist, bearing in mind there are more watts-wasting gpus before this PSU's been made, like even just a 780 TI. While I don't have this PSU in my hands, I know it should be working in a correct way, also to mention it's better than the previous equivalent gen. of Corsair (VS650). If you don't OC, then I see no issues. I wonder if it is exactly 'one cable', as maybe this varies from supply to supply, but even this shouldn't be a problem here if it's this way.

Your main problem is, that you'd be putting a bottom-line PSU with a top-notch GPU, but I guess you'll change your PSU after some time - half an year or as you decide, at least temporarily you can use the GPU this way. The only thing that may happen there, is the PSU to die faster, though it still should resist the warranty period, at least. It wouldn't fry something, and I don't believe it 'd fail to supply the 220 watts.
What would your recommendation be?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The original FE cards had the 12 pin connector and came with a adapter. The aftermarket cards come with regular connectors.

To answer your question look in the manual that came with the power supply it should tell you how many watts are safe to use a single cable with 2 X 6+2 pin connectors.

This can very depending on wire gauge and length.

EDIT just for reference my Seasonic said 225 watts.

Solution
What would your recommendation be?

There are a lot of recommendations, but you already have a PSU that you should be able to use, at least temporarily. See the Titan's post, too, and If you wonder what to buy now or later, there is a helpful PSU tier list here:
Your PSU is in Tier C there. It is expected to do the job for now, but for how long, I don't know.

The original FE cards had the 12 pin connector and came with a adapter.

Yes. But I wouldn't call announcing 12-pin needed a good idea of Nvidia. The only remarkable effect of such things is confusion.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

There are a lot of recommendations, but you already have a PSU that you should be able to use, at least temporarily. See the Titan's post, too, and If you wonder what to buy now or later, there is a helpful PSU tier list here:
Your PSU is in Tier C there. It is expected to do the job for now, but for how long, I don't know.

Yes. But I wouldn't call announcing 12-pin needed a good idea of Nvidia. The only remarkable effect of such things is confusion.
Their no confusion if you know what your looking at, FE cards 12 pin and came with a adapter to use your current power supply, aftermarket cards used the regular old connectors to get away from the adapter.

The adapters were a bad idea it adds another point of connection.

If I remember right the CV 650 is DC to DC not group regulated like the VS series or the 450 and 550 watt CV.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
They're confusion if one doesn't go any deep, an usual user may start to think his/her PSU isn't compatible if he/she just sees 12-pin needed somewhere, like in techpowerup.

Absolutely.
It clearly says the adapter is included.

Supplementary Power Connectors
2x PCIe 8-pin
(adapter to 1x 12-pin included)

Ollie_88

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014

Turns out I have been a donut and it's not the CV650 PSU it's the TX650M PSU, which is listed as Tier A in the tier list so haven't got much to worry about there.

Reactions: AJNameS

TRENDING THREADS