Question QoS slowing down LAN speeds (R7000P)

tgilroy

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
I am having an issue with QoS. I have a generally slow internet plan due to location. It is DSL with 10 down 1 up. Given the slow speeds, I use QoS since there are two of us in the house with multiple devices, and I find QoS works well to prevent buffering issues for our TV streaming devices. I have my priorities set correctly and it works fine over wifi. However, when I hardwired my PS4 to the router via cat6 ethernet cord, the speed slows to a crawl on the PS4 (all other devices retain normal speed) at around 800 kbps which is less than 1/10th of my download speed. The upload speed is cut in half. This happens with the PS4 set to the highest priority. I tested by plugging in the same ethernet cord to a laptop, and I am able to achieve the proper speeds. I even tested PS4 speed using wifi and I can achieve the proper speeds. This tells me it is definitely an issue with the router and its QoS setting. I have disabled QoS for now in order to get the full bandwidth on the PS4 but given all of our devices in the house, at some point I will have to re enable it. In fact, as soon as I disabled QoS, I am having the odd buffering issue watching Netflix, Prime, etc. while my girlfriend uses her phone and laptop, so I would really like to be able to implement QoS again at some point.
The router is a Netgear R7000P Nighthawk on the latest stock firmware which is 1.3.1.64.
Does anybody have an ideas on how to fix it?

tgilroy

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
The issue I was having before was ping. It was likely due to all of the devices being on the same frequency that I was still getting lag spikes and ping going through the roof randomly that would cause disconnects. That issue has seemed to have been resolved now with the ethernet cord.

Reactions: SamirD

TRENDING THREADS