Question Ram not hitting advertised speed - please help

quektis

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I just purchased a new motherboard, ram and CPU.

I purchased 2x16gb/3600 Vengeance LPX ram and it would only hit 3200 speed.
Selecting xmp would just blackscreen my computer on reload until I disabled it.

So I sent that back and bought Kingston Fury Renegade ddr4 ram 2x16gb/3600 instead.

This time I made sure this exact model is in the list of compatible ram on the asus website (kf436c16rb1k2/32).
However, this one is even worse. Same thing with black screen when rebooting with xmp, except for this time it will only hit 2933Mhz max when I disable xmp!

This is a real bummer, as I'm paying a premium for ram that won't even hit the standard 3200Mhz.

Is my motherboard likely to be the cause? What are my options here?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Things I've tried:
  • Update bios to latest version
  • Reset CMOS
  • Try each ram individually
  • make sure defaults are set before setting xmp
  • Make sure Ram is on the official list of ram that is compatible with my motherboard

System:
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming-PLUS-D4 Z690
  • CPU: Intel 13700k
  • PSU: 850w
  • Graphics: RTX 3080
-RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade ddr4 ram 2x16gb/3600

Lutfij

Titan
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming-PLUS-D4 Z690
BISO version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Have you tried manually inputting the memory timings, frequency and voltage as shown on the stickered side of the ram? Might want to see if clearing your CMOS and then reattempting with X.M.P helps change what you're seeing.

quektis

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming-PLUS-D4 Z690
BISO version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Have you tried manually inputting the memory timings, frequency and voltage as shown on the stickered side of the ram? Might want to see if clearing your CMOS and then reattempting with X.M.P helps change what you're seeing.

Yes I have tried inputting the values manually and I have also cleared CMOS.
Bios version is 2103, released a couple weeks ago

Lutfij

Titan
Rams populating slots A2 and B2, correct? Try reflashing the BIOS, with the latest version. Once the BIOS update is successful, power down the system and disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for 30 mins before replacing. Try and reseat the rams and then power up to get into BIOS.

Reactions: PEnns

quektis

Reputable
May 4, 2018
Yes A2 and B2 slots. Even though I did this exact same thing last week you still recommend flashing and resetting CMOS again? I didn't realise that it's possible that flashing the bios could cause ram issues that can be resolved by flashing it again

quektis

Reputable
May 4, 2018
quick update on this. Flashing the bios a second time to the latest version and then removing the CMOS battery/waiting 30 minutes didn't resolve the problem.

with all 4 ram sticks making windows crash with xmp enabled even when used individually, I'm thinking there must be a problem with the motherboard.

Will Asus be likely to replace it?