[SOLVED] Reinstalling Windows 10 on an already used SSD after fried motherboard

Apr 20, 2020
So, upon my old motherboard frying I replaced all my parts and realized it won’t let me boot from my old SSD with Windows and my files in it. Is there any way I can avoid buying a new SSD. I still have the old license to the Windows 10 (it’s OEM). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I think I can do that. But why not copy applications?
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere, and files all over the place. The new OS knows nothing about them.
There are some few small applications that might work, but the majority WILL need a new install.

USAFRet

Titan
So, upon my old motherboard frying I replaced all my parts and realized it won’t let me boot from my old SSD with Windows and my files in it. Is there any way I can avoid buying a new SSD. I still have the old license to the Windows 10 (it’s OEM). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Assuming the drive works, and there is nothing on it you wish to keep, no problem.

Apr 20, 2020
Assuming the drive works, and there is nothing on it you wish to keep, no problem.

I would like to keep everything....

USAFRet

Titan
OutletPC I believe. I still have the install license and disc.
That may or may not be transferable to a new motherboard.
After the install, you may need to call MS and explain the dead board replacement issue. Generally they will do that.

But for the data on your current drive...
Do you have another working system, where you can connect this SSD as a secondary drive and copy your personal docs to?
NOT applications, just your personal files.

Apr 20, 2020
That may or may not be transferable to a new motherboard.
After the install, you may need to call MS and explain the dead board replacement issue. Generally they will do that.

But for the data on your current drive...
Do you have another working system, where you can connect this SSD as a secondary drive and copy your personal docs to?
NOT applications, just your personal files.
I think I can do that. But why not copy applications?

Apr 20, 2020
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands of entries in the Registry and elsewhere, and files all over the place. The new OS knows nothing about them.
There are some few small applications that might work, but the majority WILL need a new install.
Okay so plug into other system, copy PERSONAL files to the drive on other system and upload to GDrive probably (I have unlimited with my school account), reinstall windows on the new drive, and then download files from GDrive and reinstall every. single. one of my programs and games onto fresh install of Windows and call MS somewhere in there and ask them to reactivate my license.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so plug into other system, copy PERSONAL files to the drive on other system and upload to GDrive probably (I have unlimited with my school account), reinstall windows on the new drive, and then download files from GDrive and reinstall every. single. one of my programs and games onto fresh install of Windows and call MS somewhere in there and ask them to reactivate my license.
Yep.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so I have multiple folders: AMD, Drivers, ESD, Fraps, ISDebugLogFile.txt, PerfLogs, Program Files, Program Files (x86), Sandbox, temp, tmp, UserBenchmark, Users, Windows, and Windows10Upgrade. Which ones should I copy?
None of those "folders".

Go into your Documents folder. What is in it? Some stuff you created?
Copy the contents of that (not the whole folder) to some other physical drive.

Same with Music/Pictures/Videos.
Maybe even the Downloads folder.

Again, NOT the whole folder...the contents of those.