Status
Not open for further replies.

AristosT

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Hey guys, is it worth upgrading all of my stock fans? Currently, I'm using the stock fans of my case ( Phanteks P600S, 2 140mm in the front as intake, 1 140mm in the rear as exhaust, nothing at the top) and I'm thinking of removing all of them and putting 3 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in the front as intake, 1 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in the rear as exhaust and 2 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in the top as exhaust. Thing is, 6 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm cost 180 euros in my country, so the question is, is it worth it? Will I get a noticable difference in my overall temperatures and airflow, or is it not worth it? Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

My PC

CPU: i9-10900
CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15
GPU: MSI 3090 GAMING X TRIO
RAM : 2 x 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200MHZ
MOBO: ASROCK Z490 TAICHI
PC CASE: PHANTEKS P600S
PSU: CORSAIR HX1200
STORAGE: 1 x CORSAIR MP510 1TB, 1 x ADATA SX8200 2TB

Solution
D
Don't use two exhausts on the top with a tower air cooler such as the NH-D15, it will just suck out cool air before it even reaches the cooler. Keep a front to back airflow. Three fans in the front, one fan in the rear. More fans =/= better.

You CAN add a single top exhaust fan to aid with the GPU temps, but make sure it's not in the front of the CPU cooler. Position it next to the rear fan.

I'm writing here from a system with a Ryzen 9 3900X, NH-D15 with a single fan, two 140mm Pure Wings 2 high speed PWM fans in the front and one of them in the rear. The temperatures are fantastic as is. More fans would only be detrimental as airflow > airblow.

As for the "is it worth it" part, don't expect a huge temperature decrease. I would...
D

Deleted member 2720853

Don't use two exhausts on the top with a tower air cooler such as the NH-D15, it will just suck out cool air before it even reaches the cooler. Keep a front to back airflow. Three fans in the front, one fan in the rear. More fans =/= better.

You CAN add a single top exhaust fan to aid with the GPU temps, but make sure it's not in the front of the CPU cooler. Position it next to the rear fan.

I'm writing here from a system with a Ryzen 9 3900X, NH-D15 with a single fan, two 140mm Pure Wings 2 high speed PWM fans in the front and one of them in the rear. The temperatures are fantastic as is. More fans would only be detrimental as airflow > airblow.

As for the "is it worth it" part, don't expect a huge temperature decrease. I would instead expect an overall quieter system.

Solution

AristosT

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015

As for the "is it worth it" part, don't expect a huge temperature decrease. I would instead expect an overall quieter system.
Thank you for your reply. Thing is, I have the NH-D15 with 2 140mm fans, so should I add a Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in the top close to the rear fan, or should I skip it altogether and just put 3 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in front as intake and 1 Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM 140mm in the rear as exhaust?

D

Deleted member 2720853

As I said the top fan may aid GPU temps. It's up to you really, won't make much of a difference. Just go with 3x 140mm in the front and 1x 140mm in the rear if you're unsure, that's plenty of airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.