[SOLVED] Replacing 2012 system build with all new components, making sure all are compatible and I'm not over spending

Oct 30, 2020
Approximate Purchase Date: I'm hoping to buy in November

Budget Range: Ideally sub $1500 USD with shipping, but if it's shipping that takes me a little over, i'll live

System Usage from Most to Least Important: My biggest use is Path of Exile, streaming movies, some steam games and if cyberpunk is cool, that too

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, previously I was using a 48" LCD i think, but I'm going to do a dual monitor setup instead so I can watch a movie and game.

Parts to Upgrade: Upgrading basically everything. Only things I was planning to keep are the old case after a thorough clean, it's enormous so it should fit anything. I also have 2 old ASUS optical drives that I rarely use but I figure I should have one in there. I have a little 128 GB SSD from Samsung I was using for my OS drive, was hoping I could reuse that for the OS and use the new SSD for all else.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I've been running windows 7 forever but now that it won't be supported I'll finally spring for Windows 10
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
I've been using newegg to scope parts, but that's just because it's what I know. I'm not opposed to using another vendor if one is better

Parts Preferences: I am completely impartial. Whatever CPU gives the best bang for the buck, i'm game. I only know windows but I'm happy to learn something else if it's better and matters. the reviews I read leaned towards AMD currently so I built that way, but again, I could be easily swayed if people lean a different way.

Overclocking: I never have but if I ought to, sure

SLI or Crossfire: Ummmm, what?

Your Monitor Resolution: I was planning on sticking with 1080 to keep cost down, I don't think i'm doing anything that requires 4k

Additional Comments: I am really just using the computer for 1) Gaming, largely path of exile (think D3) and some steam games, witcher3, a bit of warframe, cyberpunk when it drops 2) streaming video, usually at the same time as playing because why do 1 fun thing when you can do 2!! and 3) occasional work related nonsense, word processing, virtual PC stuff so I can do audits from home.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I built my first system in 2012, and it was great. A great feeling to have made it myself and to know more about what is in that magical box and how it works. After 8 years though it's needed some work and even after upgrading the GPU in 2016 I can tell new games are taxing my system even on the lowest settings and recently my GPU has been failing (monitor blackout for ~30-60 seconds and then screen shows only top left corner of desktop as though the resolution settings need a monitor 10 feet wide). I recently got the go ahead from my wife to purchase a new system and have been doing some research to see what I can get in my budget.

I used newegg to put together a build and loaded it into partpicker to check compatibility. Initially I was getting error messages that my motherboard required an additional 4 pin connector (i think for the cpu) and I couldn't find any power supplies under about 750W that would make the message go away, so I ended up picking a different motherboard and that fixed the 'error'. The pcpartpicker link is below that has a composite of all the components. I also have the components listed below with their newegg links.

Full build loaded into PCPartPicker website
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2mLn7X

MotherBoard: ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3800X 8-Core 3.9 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W 100-100000025BOX Desktop Processor

GPU: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC w/ Backplate (UEFI), 100411P8GOCL

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD X399 Compatible Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M4B3200C16

HDD: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B

Monitor x2: BenQ GL2780 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 75Hz 1ms VGA DVI HDMI DisplayPort Built-in Speakers Flicker-Free Technology LED Backlit LCD Monitor

PSU: EVGA 550 B3, 80 Plus BRONZE 550W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0550-V1

Case and optical drives I have from my old build, I was hoping I could use those again as well as the old 128GB SSD for my OS drive (SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW )

If I am missing things or posted this wrong, please be gentle, it was not out of malice, but rather ignorance and of course I am happy to change literally anything about the build if it'll mean better performance or lower cost.

thank you for your help!!!!

~J

Solution
Just sharing my thoughts...
Compared to rest of your system, I wouldn't buy RX 580 -go for RX 5600 XT instead. Yes, is a bit more expensive, but performance difference is very noticeable.
I would use M.2 SSD for OS (it's several times faster than 830 SSD).
I would consider an aftermarket CPU cooler (stock cooler is kinda loud at full load).
I would try to find a good deal on 2x16GB RAM (4 sticks in Dual channel can be tricky sometimes).
Just sharing my thoughts...
Compared to rest of your system, I wouldn't buy RX 580 -go for RX 5600 XT instead. Yes, is a bit more expensive, but performance difference is very noticeable.
I would use M.2 SSD for OS (it's several times faster than 830 SSD).
I would consider an aftermarket CPU cooler (stock cooler is kinda loud at full load).
I would try to find a good deal on 2x16GB RAM (4 sticks in Dual channel can be tricky sometimes).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS