[SOLVED] Router getting 600mbps down from internal speed test, but everything else capped at 100mbps

Apr 29, 2020
So I am really stumped here. Our new router is testing at 600mbps down from its internal speed tester, but Wifi (2.4 and 5) and ethernet are all maxing out at around 100mbps. Firmware is up to date on the router, both the modem and router are rated at gigabit speeds, all of our PCs are set to 1 gig speeds at the network adapter and are running the latest version of Windows, nothing is capped in the router settings, I've tried new cables, but nothing is over 100mbps. But like I said, the router is testing internally at around 600mbps down. All of our cables are either CAT 5e or CAT 6. But nothing I plug into the router tests over 100mbps and nothing on the WiFi is over 100mbps either.

Router is a NETGEAR R7800.

Seriously, I've gone through every single setting. I found where you can limit it if you want to, but it isn't even enabled. I even tried enabling it and then limiting it to 600mbps to no avail. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

An IT friend of mine said the exact same thing happened at his out and that he had to have a Comcast tech come out. Apparently, there was some piece of AT&T hardware installed in-line that [messed] with the signal, causing it to limit itself to 100mbps. Starting to think something similar might be happening here.

Last edited:
Solution
What speed does the ethernet status show. Does it show it connected at 1gbit or 100mbps. You want to leave the setting on auto. Setting it to any fixed speed even gigabit can cause the router port to drop to 100mbps.
There should also be a screen on that router that shows you the connection speed of the lan ports.

If all these are gigabit then it is very strange. I guess it depends on what you mean by 100mbps. Normally a cable issue you get speeds around 94mbps. Anything above 100mbps means the problem is something else.

If this is the case try to factory reset the router and only set the admin and wifi passwords. There are features that can bottleneck the cpu if you use them.
What speed does the ethernet status show. Does it show it connected at 1gbit or 100mbps. You want to leave the setting on auto. Setting it to any fixed speed even gigabit can cause the router port to drop to 100mbps.
There should also be a screen on that router that shows you the connection speed of the lan ports.

If all these are gigabit then it is very strange. I guess it depends on what you mean by 100mbps. Normally a cable issue you get speeds around 94mbps. Anything above 100mbps means the problem is something else.

If this is the case try to factory reset the router and only set the admin and wifi passwords. There are features that can bottleneck the cpu if you use them.

Solution
Apr 29, 2020

Everything is set to 1000mbs on the LAN ports. One of the other things I checked. And ethernet shows it connected at 1gigabit. Speeds have never exceeded 100mbps. Usually hover around 92-98mbps.

Does it show that speed on the router also. Your router is one of the better ones that show the lan and wan port speeds.

Those numbers are what you see when a port is running at 100mbps. It could be something else but it would be very strange that some other bug gets numbers exactly in that range.

Apr 29, 2020
Does it show that speed on the router also. Your router is one of the better ones that show the lan and wan port speeds.

Those numbers are what you see when a port is running at 100mbps. It could be something else but it would be very strange that some other bug gets numbers exactly in that range.

Yep. Checked on the router and all ports are at 1000mbps. WAN and LAN both read 1000M/Full.