[SOLVED] Router with bandwidth control on ethernet port

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
Hi, I was wondering if I can get a list of routers that can do the following:

1. Control bandwidth on each ethernet port.
  2. Monitor the bandwidth on each ethernet port showing how much data they have used because I have an allowance of 2TB per month.
  3. Monitor the bandwidth of each device connected to WiFi for the above reason (2).
  4. Allow/Block/Remove connected devices on WiFi from the router's interface.
  5. Configure a VPN (Optional)

If there are no such things, please tell me what devices will I need to do so.

FYI - I currently use a Huawei HG8245H modem.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Rohan

Solution
The lan ports in a router act as a switch so there is no way to control them individually. Almost all control is done via ip address not a physical port.
Routers really do not have anyplace to store long term data so it is hard to keep monthly usage data. Most routers also have no ability to block based on a cap only on a data rate. You could look at a third party firmware called gargoyle but I have not looked at that in years. It had some abilities to keep data and do caps.
Most routers have very small cpu so if you do anything fancy you will limit your speed.

You can do this with a pc running one of the many free firewalls. If you want to limit by physical port you are going to have to actually put a multiport Ethernet...
The lan ports in a router act as a switch so there is no way to control them individually. Almost all control is done via ip address not a physical port.
Routers really do not have anyplace to store long term data so it is hard to keep monthly usage data. Most routers also have no ability to block based on a cap only on a data rate. You could look at a third party firmware called gargoyle but I have not looked at that in years. It had some abilities to keep data and do caps.
Most routers have very small cpu so if you do anything fancy you will limit your speed.

You can do this with a pc running one of the many free firewalls. If you want to limit by physical port you are going to have to actually put a multiport Ethernet card in the pc. Normally people do not actually try to run the wifi function of a router and use a AP but you can if you put in wifi nic cards. You will need 2 if you want 2.4g and 5g at the same time. This is going to take quite a bit of learning since you have complex requirements. The firewall can do it you just have to find all the commands to configure it.

Reactions: ROHAN-SNAKE
Solution

ROHAN-SNAKE

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016

You can do this with a pc running one of the many free firewalls. If you want to limit by physical port you are going to have to actually put a multiport Ethernet card in the pc. Normally people do not actually try to run the wifi function of a router and use a AP but you can if you put in wifi nic cards. You will need 2 if you want 2.4g and 5g at the same time. This is going to take quite a bit of learning since you have complex requirements. The firewall can do it you just have to find all the commands to configure it.

Thank you for clearing that out.