Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
So my GTX 1080 died a while back and I decided to aim for a RTX 2080 Super as my next GPU. Here's my main issue: There's so many.

I was originally looking at the MSI TRIO X ($740) card but then saw comparisions and the cheaper, smaller, 1 less fan EVGA Super Black Dual Fan ($689.99@Microcenter) was somehow cooler and running at a higher mhz. Then there's the Gigabyte Windforce OC Rev 2.0 ($740) which looks pretty cool and I'm super unsure now on what to do and want to know from people who either own or know anyone who has any of these cards along with any recommendations. I'm not looking towards the really expensive ones like the Asus ROG STRIX Triple ($790) or EVGA Super FTW3 ($800). But if you feel strongly about either of those go ahead and mention it! Really interested.

Solution
1)Ignore the advertised boost clocks. They can all easily go higher.
I can only assume that the advertised clocks are a worst case scenario or something.

2)How comfortable are you with certain levels of noise? The different gpu models have various power limits.
The ones with higher limits can obviously boost or overclock higher, but this also translates to higher power consumption and thermals, and having to run a more aggressive fan curve to compensate, because the gpus are temperature sensitive.

If I just compare the 2 you mention:
2080 Super Gaming X Trio: triple fan, 285w power limit: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214531/msi-rtx2080super-8192-190708
2080 Super Black: dual fan, 292w power limit...

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
There's really very little difference among the various 2080 Supers; they pushed the silicon right to the edge of what it was capable of. Without a great deal of differentiation, go by cooling solution and price.
I wonder how do you determine the best cooling solution? I found it really weird how the dual fan, cheaper EVGA Black Gaming card somehow was cooler and running 30mhz higher in the benchmark I saw. Then again, I didn't really watch any other videos because there doesn't appear to be many comparisons.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can only assume that the advertised clocks are a worst case scenario or something.

2)How comfortable are you with certain levels of noise? The different gpu models have various power limits.
The ones with higher limits can obviously boost or overclock higher, but this also translates to higher power consumption and thermals, and having to run a more aggressive fan curve to compensate, because the gpus are temperature sensitive.

2080 Super Gaming X Trio: triple fan, 285w power limit: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214531/msi-rtx2080super-8192-190708
2080 Super Black: dual fan, 292w power limit: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212660/evga-rtx2080super-8192-190701
Well, not a significant difference between the 2 in power, but the Trio would have a slight edge when running higher fan profiles - if you're even comfortable with that.
As for lower fan profiles... it's kinda moot, because the fans are likely off when the gpu is idling anyways. Set your own fan profile.

Solution

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013

2080 Super Black: dual fan, 292w power limit: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212660/evga-rtx2080super-8192-190701
Well, not a significant difference between the 2 in power, but the Trio would have a slight edge when running higher fan profiles - if you're even comfortable with that.
As for lower fan profiles... it's kinda moot, because the fans are likely off when the gpu is idling anyways. Set your own fan profile.
I know this is a bit late but I was wondering is it okay to go with a 650w power supply? Assuming I'm still using my overclock i7-7700k @4.9ghz along with the RTX 2080 Super Black? Reason I'm asking is near me/online I can only find reasonably priced 650w power supplies like the Seasonic USA Focus Plus 650 on Microcenter.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know this is a bit late but I was wondering is it okay to go with a 650w power supply? Assuming I'm still using my overclock i7-7700k @4.9ghz along with the RTX 2080 Super Black? Reason I'm asking is near me/online I can only find reasonably priced 650w power supplies like the Seasonic USA Focus Plus 650 on Microcenter.
Aye, 650w, and that unit will do just fine.