MValles02

Prominent
Apr 6, 2022
I recently bought a MSI GF65, I5 10500H and RTX 3060.

I started monitoring my games with MSI Afterburner and I noticed that the GPU is acting weird. It goes from 1402mhz to 420mhz all the time, even in standby while I am not gaming.

Games works fine, but it is strange.

Picture of MSI Afterburner for reference: MSI Afterburner image

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

See if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Open up Task Manager and see what your GPU usages are when you're in idle, just after booting into OS GUI. If you're using Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

I recently bought a MSI GF65, I5 10500H and RTX 3060.

I started monitoring my games with MSI Afterburner and I noticed that the GPU is acting weird. It goes from 1402mhz to 420mhz all the time, even in standby while I am not gaming.

Games works fine, but it is strange.

Picture of MSI Afterburner for reference: MSI Afterburner image
I see this happen on my desktop, where video card idles happily at 300MHz, then suddenly shoots up to 1200MHz or so, then goes back down. I'm guessing something just pinged the video card for some reason.

You can generally see what's using the dGPU from Task Manager if you want to start sniffing for an app that shouldn't be running or something.

Now that I am seeing both graphics together, might be an error from MSI Afterburner?

Here the screenshot: Screenshot

This is after a reboot.
Oh yeah. If the discrete GPU shuts down, the sensor data basically freezes and apps may report the last thing that happened. It might be prudent to have both Task Manager and MSI Afterburner up to see if this is the case, though I worry that this is like quantum physics: the act of observing changes the behavior of the system.

Apr 10, 2022
I am believing there might be an issue with either msi afterburner, or the gpu itself. I have same issue running mining on just 1 of the 3060ti's. My rig has another 3060ti (different brand) that runs perfect, while the troublesome gpu keeps dropping and going back to set speed. Because of the fluctuation, my hashrate is bad (about stock). Again, another brand 3060ti runs perfect in same computer. Both 3060 ti's where purchased brand new. I also notice that the trouble gpu cannot be overclocked as much as my other 3060 ti's, but it can be overclocked a little.