Question RTX 3080 Ti making weird noise while gaming, but not when stress testing ?

kriviful

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've recently built a new PC, and now I've noticed that the GPU is making weird noise. The GPU in question is Asus ROG Strix 3080 ti. I've played Witcher 2 which is an older game and should be easy for this gpu on a 1080p 144hz monitor, but for some reason there is a weird sound while gaming. I've opened Nvidia overlay and the fans are on 1500 rpm so it doesn't seem like a fan issue. I've ran furmark, brought fan utilization to 80+ percent but there was no weird sound, only the fans spinning normally. Here is the video of it:
View: https://youtu.be/rjW4xXsZKZ8
Those changes in sound literally happen when I rotate around in the game. What could this be?

My full system specs are:
Amd Ryzen 7 5800x,
Asus Rog Strix 3080ti,
Corsair HX850i platinum,
GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB, 3600, cl16
Gigabyte Aorus Pro v2

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in you build? Does the issue crop up with other titles like Witcher 3? BIOS version for your motherboard? Driver version for your GPU? OS version? If on Windows 10, you should be on 21H1. Are you daisy chaining any of the PCIe connectors on the GPU end?

Coil whine is not something that lowers FPS its a direct connection to the frequencies used by the components on the graphics card. The buzzing was not causing stuttering and fps drops for you, it was the reverse. You enter more demanding areas that requires more from the graphics card which in turn causes more coil whine.

This is definitely coil whine. One thing you can try to stop is is set the global framerate limiter in the Nvidia control panel to whatever the higher Hz monitor you have. This may help alleviate it.

Jan 21, 2022
Coil whine is not something that lowers FPS its a direct connection to the frequencies used by the components on the graphics card. The buzzing was not causing stuttering and fps drops for you, it was the reverse. You enter more demanding areas that requires more from the graphics card which in turn causes more coil whine.

This is definitely coil whine. One thing you can try to stop is is set the global framerate limiter in the Nvidia control panel to whatever the higher Hz monitor you have. This may help alleviate it.
Yes i have tried to cap the FPS and when i lower the FPS the coil whine become lower and in some games it disappear, BUT not all games, in RD2 Online for example coil whine exist even on 60FPS and I have to lower the FPS to 30FPS and the coil whine + FPS become less (not disappear), another game which is not heavy is Rocket League, I can reach 400FPS but I have to limit my FPS to 144hz which is my monitor Hz BTW, but there is still coil whine and cause annoying FPS drops.

You can see this in that thread too https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-gpu-makes-weird-buzzing-noises-in-the-game.3745418/

What i found is that when power rise to 110+ i think (not accurate) the power drop and FPS drop come and coil whine stop for like a second

specs :
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: rtx 2070 super
RAM: 16gb
Storage1: 500gb ssd
Storage2: 1tb hdd
PSU: corsair 650watt
Cooler: Nzxt kraken x63
Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Last edited:
Yes i have tried to cap the FPS and when i lower the FPS the coil whine become lower and in some games it disappear, BUT not all games, in RD2 Online for example coil whine exist even on 60FPS and I have to lower the FPS to 30FPS and the coil whine + FPS become less (not disappear), another game which is not heavy is Rocket League, I can reach 400FPS but I have to limit my FPS to 144hz which is my monitor Hz BTW, but there is still coil whine and cause annoying FPS drops.

You can see this in that thread too https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-gpu-makes-weird-buzzing-noises-in-the-game.3745418/

What i found is that when power rise to 110+ i think (not accurate) the power drop and FPS drop come and coil whine stop for like a second

specs :
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: rtx 2070 super
RAM: 16gb
Storage1: 500gb ssd
Storage2: 1tb hdd
PSU: corsair 650watt
Cooler: Nzxt kraken x63
Monitor: Asus VG27AQ
Coil whine DOES NOT CAUSE LOSS OF PERFORMANCE! Coil whine is just a noise that happens when the GPU is being stressed. The more stressed the GPU the louder it becomes or potentially it changes the way it sounds.

Jan 21, 2022
Coil whine DOES NOT CAUSE LOSS OF PERFORMANCE! Coil whine is just a noise that happens when the GPU is being stressed. The more stressed the GPU the louder it becomes or potentially it changes the way it sounds.
then what is the explanation of getting FPS drops only when there is coil whine, even if the GPU is powerful for a game and give 400fps, coil whine appear and fps drops start like Rocket League.
In RDR2 online, the game is heavy but it still can run at 2k 70fps+ , but still coil whine and fps drops.
What is the link

then what is the explanation of getting FPS drops only when there is coil whine, even if the GPU is powerful for a game and give 400fps, coil whine appear and fps drops start like Rocket League.
In RDR2 online, the game is heavy but it still can run at 2k 70fps+ , but still coil whine and fps drops.
What is the link
Its the other way around. The graphics card is getting stressed and begins to coil while. Its not the other way around. You are getting FPS drops because the game is hard to run in that instance. Have you DDUed your drivers and installed the latest ones from Nvidia recently? Try that.

Jan 21, 2022
Its the other way around. The graphics card is getting stressed and begins to coil while. Its not the other way around. You are getting FPS drops because the game is hard to run in that instance. Have you DDUed your drivers and installed the latest ones from Nvidia recently? Try that.
I dont know what is “DDUed” but I reset the windows and installed my drivers again before 2months to check if something will change but it didnt, so yes my graphics driver is up-to-date

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I dont know what is “DDUed” but I reset the windows and installed my drivers again before 2months to check if something will change but it didnt, so yes my graphics driver is up-to-date

DDU stands for Display Driver Uninstaller which is a utility to wipe graphics drivers from system with all they do to the system as in registry and everything and -ed as in the past tense of the verb. Threfore, DDUed.

Reactions: helper800