NGL

Jul 1, 2020
Hey guys, my problem is simple:

I have a rx 580 sapphire 8gb that works fine, but when I plug another monitor it works for 30 secs and then my pc reboots and stop working. I dont know what to do, my friend just gave me his old monitor and I wanted to use it with my current monitor.

I already tested with another monitor with the same vga to hdmi adapter and the problem persists, it shows image and then turns off.

I dont know If my PSU is the problem, its a Cooler Master 650W, Ryzern 5 3600, 32 gb ram Ballixtix and Asus B450m -A.

Is there any solution? help :(

Solution
Unfortunately 5 months of use is not a guarantee of some defect or fault. Perhaps leading to a device's premature EOL (End of Life).

Four test scenarios:

1) Test boot with everything connected except the second monitor. Second monitor: no HDMI cable. Power cable disconnected.

2) Test boot with everything connected including the second monitor but only the HDMI cable.

3) Test boot with everything connected including the second monitor, the HDMI cable, and the monitor's power plug but powered off.

4) Test both with everything connected including the second monitor, the HDMI cable, the monitors power plug, and the monitor powered on.

========

What surge protector (make and model) are you using? How many devices are connected...

NGL

Jul 1, 2020
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Any error codes, warnings, or informational entries that correspond to second monitor being plugged in?

nope, I already tested it with 2 monitors and the same problema happens. It works fine for 30 secs, and then my pc turns off and cant boot. I really dont understand what could be the problem. If I just use one, doesnt matter which one, it works just fine.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that 650w Cooler Master PSU?

Has the PSU been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, even bit-mining?

With only the one monitor running open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor and observe system performance while doing nothing.

Use both but only one at a time.

Then turn on the second monitor and watch for changes that occur during that 30 second "delay".

NGL

Jul 1, 2020
How old is that 650w Cooler Master PSU?

Has the PSU been heavily used for gaming, graphics work, even bit-mining?

With only the one monitor running open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor and observe system performance while doing nothing.

Use both but only one at a time.

Then turn on the second monitor and watch for changes that occur during that 30 second "delay".

The PSU is brand new, It doesnt have more than 5 months. I m streaming somedays but I never had problems with troubleshooting, or reboots.

Even if I dont turn it on the second monitor but its plugged into the hdmi port, my pc reboots and cant start windows. Its weird.

Ralston18

Titan
Possible electrical short.

Normally, I would expect a short to be instantaneous (not 30 seconds later) but depending on what devices are "ramping" up some shorted circuit is not/may not be in full play at first.

Any common extension cords, power strips, surge protectors, UPS's etc.?

How are all the power, video, audio, cables connected?

If you unplug second monitor HDMI cable will the pc then start and properly boot? Change nothing else.

If the computer boots and all seems well then plug the HDMI cable in again.

If there is a "30 second" reboot then I suspect that there is indeed a short somewhere.

NGL

Jul 1, 2020
Possible electrical short.

Normally, I would expect a short to be instantaneous (not 30 seconds later) but depending on what devices are "ramping" up some shorted circuit is not/may not be in full play at first.

Any common extension cords, power strips, surge protectors, UPS's etc.?

How are all the power, video, audio, cables connected?

If you unplug second monitor HDMI cable will the pc then start and properly boot? Change nothing else.

If the computer boots and all seems well then plug the HDMI cable in again.

If there is a "30 second" reboot then I suspect that there is indeed a short somewhere.

Everything is new, no more than 5 months of use. I use a surge pressor to connect everything.

No, if I unplug the second monitor hdmi while its already in black screen, the pc wont boot. To make it boot again I have to turn off the surge pressor and then turn it on again. If i just turn off the pc it wont start windows.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately 5 months of use is not a guarantee of some defect or fault. Perhaps leading to a device's premature EOL (End of Life).

Four test scenarios:

1) Test boot with everything connected except the second monitor. Second monitor: no HDMI cable. Power cable disconnected.

2) Test boot with everything connected including the second monitor but only the HDMI cable.

3) Test boot with everything connected including the second monitor, the HDMI cable, and the monitor's power plug but powered off.

4) Test both with everything connected including the second monitor, the HDMI cable, the monitors power plug, and the monitor powered on.

========

What surge protector (make and model) are you using? How many devices are connected to the surge protector?

What, if any, audio connections are in place?

Are some devices connected to the surge protector and other devices to wall outlets that may or may not be on the same circuit.

The key objective is to find a non-crashing configuration - as basic as possible. Then add back components and connections one by one until the problem re-occurs. I.e., being able to consistently create or cause the problem at will.

I am still leaning towards an electrical short. Try some testing that does not involve the surge protector.

Solution