Thatgamerkidd22

Commendable
Dec 12, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
When playing games with my rx 6800xt I've noticed that my gpu is not being fully utilized. I was playing Minecraft and I couldn't push past 100fps at 1080p. Usage was spiking. Staying as low as 6% spiking to around 30-40%. But its constantly spiking. It also does this for many other games that I have tested as well. Its just very inconsistent gpu usage, as well as unusually low fps in games where it should be higher. Any way of making my gpu usage more stable and use more power? Any help will be appreciated. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37029267

Last edited:
Solution
I plan on getting 1440p soon, but yeah my refresh rate is 144hz
By chance do you have ray tracing enabled? If so the FPS you are getting in Minecraft makes sense. How are you comparing FPS in your other games? Are you going off valid benchmarks like from Hardware Unboxed, or Gamers Nexus? Either way going off the chart you showed us, if that is game play then its not normal. You should have drops in clock speeds hear and there, but they shouldn't fluctuate the way they do in the graph.

I would start by DDU the current driver.
Nov 9, 2020
Have you made sure you downloaded all the necessary drivers for the card? i would recommend looking for AMD chipset drivers as well. BIOS updated? check all these things if you can. There are also drivers specific to your equipment on you MOBOs driver page.

The only other things I would suggest are maybe disabling windows "Game Mode" and see if that helps.

I get unusually low fps still. I uncapped the framerate on Dead by daylight and can barely push 80 fps. Usually around 60-80. While my friend with a 3070 gets 100+ constantly

Well that is not good, what was your previous gpu?
What driver version are you using?
What else do you have running in the background? Or should I say what is occupying al this memory? 11.1 GB free of 16 GB

Thatgamerkidd22

Commendable
Dec 12, 2020
Well that is not good, what was your previous gpu?
What driver version are you using?
What else do you have running in the background? Or should I say what is occupying al this memory? 11.1 GB free of 16 GB
I had a GTX 1060 before and I uninstalled the drivers for that card. I have also got the latest drivers for my card now as well. I don't have much running in the background.

Thatgamerkidd22

Commendable
Dec 12, 2020
Have you made sure you downloaded all the necessary drivers for the card? i would recommend looking for AMD chipset drivers as well. BIOS updated? check all these things if you can. There are also drivers specific to your equipment on you MOBOs driver page.

The only other things I would suggest are maybe disabling windows "Game Mode" and see if that helps.
I will look into this and update you soon.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
playing at 1080p with a 6800xt?

Did you check to see if windows changed the refresh rate on you monitor after you installed the new card?
If your monitor has multiple refresh rate options windows will reset it to default (typically 60hz) whenever you update a driver and or change the GPU.

Reactions: spentshells

Thatgamerkidd22

Commendable
Dec 12, 2020
playing at 1080p with a 6800xt?

Did you check to see if windows changed the refresh rate on you monitor after you installed the new card?
If your monitor has multiple refresh rate options windows will reset it to default (typically 60hz) whenever you update a driver and or change the GPU.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
By chance do you have ray tracing enabled? If so the FPS you are getting in Minecraft makes sense. How are you comparing FPS in your other games? Are you going off valid benchmarks like from Hardware Unboxed, or Gamers Nexus? Either way going off the chart you showed us, if that is game play then its not normal. You should have drops in clock speeds hear and there, but they shouldn't fluctuate the way they do in the graph.

I would start by DDU the current driver.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS