RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I recently just got a Ryzen 7 5700x on sale. I have an Asus B350 Motherboard ROG STRIX B350-F.

It says it's compatible with a BIOS update (6042 i think is the recent version?) which i did and i then installed the new CPU.

It turns on and stays on but I get no post sound and no display.

Was i supposed to update anything else? Seen similar threads that have updated no problem to Ryzen 5000 CPUs no issues but I seem to have a problem

Not seeing it on yours but on my asrock I usually had to install a bridge bios then the later one.

Did you reset the cmos? There’s usually a jumper to short. You might also unplug it and remove the cmos battery for about 20 minutes to let it try to remove any old settings and then try to boot it again.

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Not seeing it on yours but on my asrock I usually had to install a bridge bios then the later one.

Did you reset the cmos? There’s usually a jumper to short. You might also unplug it and remove the cmos battery for about 20 minutes to let it try to remove any old settings and then try to boot it again.

I have reset the CMOS and have jumped the pins as well. I read the manual where the pins are and put a screwdriver to it while powered off. Did i do it correctly? I'll try it for 20 minutes i only did it for a minute maybe

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Shorting the jumper should do the same. The 20 minutes I meant if you remove the cmos battery. It should be a silver battery about the size of a coin.

Yep i did both and still nothing. I only updated the Bios and i don't have flashback on this Mobo. Was i supposed to install something else? Asus B350-F Gaming is my Mobo for reference. With 2400mhz. Booted fine after i updated Bios.

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I’ll let some of the others weigh in. You might try with 1 stick of ram. But it sounds like the board is ok since you said the old cpu still works.

Did you verify in bios that the bios update took?

Yes BIOS took no problem was on the latest version. Booted into Windows after and then did the upgrade. I will try with 1 stick of RAM.

Anyone have any other suggestions i can try?

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
So it definitely doesn't boot with two sticks at all it stays on just won't post. As soon as I take out one stick it boots fine. I even confirmed in CPU ID that i was running 5700x and in task manager.

Things I've tried are Reseating the CPU, untighten the cooler a bit to see if it was too much pressure, i even tried different dimm solts still nothing. It worked dual channel on the new Bios when the old CPU was in it but not the new one. Maybe i need to enable a setting in the Bios?

There should be a setting to load optimized defaults or something along those lines. Try setting that and see if it boots. As far as the second ram stick, look at your manual. If I’m seeing it correctly, according to your manual for a dual channel kit you should install in slots a2 and b2. It appears that note is on page 1-5 of the manual. If you get it to start with both sticks then you should be able to set the xmp profile in the bios.

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
There should be a setting to load optimized defaults or something along those lines. Try setting that and see if it boots. As far as the second ram stick, look at your manual. If I’m seeing it correctly, according to your manual for a dual channel kit you should install in slots a2 and b2. It appears that note is on page 1-5 of the manual. If you get it to start with both sticks then you should be able to set the xmp profile in the bios.

Yeah I had them in the right way i didn't take them out when i upgraded the CPU and it was running dual channel fine. It's currently running with 8GB fine but the other stick isn't working with it. It definitely works as i swapped both sticks and they will run by themself

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Very strange. May be worth to contact tech support. You may see if the ram is on their supported list. Just interesting that it ran for years that way and then with the new cpu acts up.

I saw on another thread someone raised the voltage on the RAM and was able to boot dual channel afterwards. Would that potentially work? I feel like that wouldn't work.

Also when i took the old CPU out i did bend 2 or 3 pins but since have bent them back. Could i have damaged the socket as well? I feel if i damaged the socket it wouldn't boot at all with the new CPU but it does.

Also could it be that the new BIOS supports the CPU but you lose the dual channel feature? Wouldn't think they would do that honestly but someone suggested it on another thread

On the pins, if it was the old cpu, I wouldn't think the new cpu would be affected. But certainly possible. As far as dual channel, you shouldn't lose that feature. I've got an AsRock AB350 pro 4, running a 5900x and no issues. If the socket were damaged I suppose it's theoretically possible that it would be a hole or two where the memory controller of the cpu would be. But you could try raising memory voltage a little. Sometimes folks do that when overclocking and tweaking. I can't say I'm well versed in overclocking so I'll let someone else speak to that. But I would be sure to double check about that. But from what I've read sometimes a little extra voltage can help with those types of things.

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Ok so little update here as to what i've tried up to this point.

CPU Boots Now but with only one stick of RAM
Tried another CPU (Ryzen 3 2200G) and it also can only boot with one stick
I know both RAM Sticks work cause i ran both of them by themself and it ran no issue
I've Loaded the BIOS Defaults
I've also updated to the latest chipset driver from AMD's Website
Tried reseatting the RAM and CPU multiple times it is in there snug
Tried raising the voltage from 1.2 to 1.3 nothing
Tried boot in A1 and A2 instead of A2 to B2
Tried Reseating all the Power Cables
I downgraded the BIOS to 4801 and it still wont boot with both sticks
Took out the CMOS for about an hour
Tried to boot it with no GPU just to see if it would post with two sticks after CMOS Clear nothing

Not much more i dont think i can do right?
I've already been looking at x570 boards but the whole point was to save money

Last edited:
If you wanted to upgrade board you could probably pick up a b550 to save some money. If you wanted to save a little more since you already have the 2200g to update, you could pick up a b450 board.

For example this one is only 60 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1447504996...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have one about like it but I’ve got the older b350 pro 4 board. I was able to update it and I actually use a 5900x and a 4 stick 32gb ddr4 3200 kit with my b350. Seems to work pretty well. You could go x570, but about the cheapest boards there seem to be around 120. But it sounds like you’ve tried about everything with your existing board.

Are you able to overclock it? Someone suggested my VRM's can't pump out enough power for the cpu and ram combined
The CPU VRM doesn't power RAM so that's irrelevant. The ram sockets have their own VRM's that are completely separate.

Most B350 boards had pretty weak CPU VRM's but the ROG Strix-F was one of the better ones. I think you'd have no troubles from the VRM if you overclock your 5700 with PBO and curve optimizer. Conventional all-core may prove less successful but Zen 3 doesn't respond well to that anyway, making it not worth the bother.

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Ok so a major update.

I am able to boot with both sticks in single channel mode. (A1 and A2) While not ideal it did give me a major improvement performance wise which is what i wanted as my end result.

Any ideas as to why i can't boot in dual channel? Both B1 and B2 doesn't work although they worked no problem before with my Ryzen 3 1200 just fine.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Ok so a major update.

I am able to boot with both sticks in single channel mode. (A1 and A2) While not ideal it did give me a major improvement performance wise which is what i wanted as my end result.

Any ideas as to why i can't boot in dual channel? Both B1 and B2 doesn't work although they worked no problem before with my Ryzen 3 1200 just fine.
These types of issues are often the result of bent/missing CPU pins, socket damage, or even BIOS version issues.

What version is your BIOS? Have you double-checked the condition of the CPU pins?

RyGuy9795

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
These types of issues are often the result of bent/missing CPU pins, socket damage, or even BIOS version issues.

What version is your BIOS? Have you double-checked the condition of the CPU pins?

Pins are good on the CPU. I did downgrade BIOS to 4801 and re updated to 6026 which is Beta and everything seems to be working just not in Dual Channel. If the Socket was damaged, Wouldn't it not POST or have stability Issues?

Dec 18, 2023
Reviving this thread. not sure if anyone has said it yet, but I had the same issue and I found that it was incompatible RAM. I swapped it with something on the compatibility list and it fired right up.