Question [Samsung UN40ES6100] Repairing an old television with a periodically flashing backlight

The Dandy

Prominent
Jul 22, 2019
Hello, I'm pretty sure this is the right board to ask this but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm the owner of an old Samsung UN40ES6100 LED-LCD TV. I'm not sure when we bought it, but I do know it hasn't been working properly for quite some time.
When turned on, the display will appear dim, turn off, turn back on fully bright, and turn back off. This cycle repeats rhythmically, every few seconds. When the display goes off the second time, a short electrical buzz sound can be heard coming from the top of the Power Supply board. Visually inspecting both sides of the board, I can't find evidence of broken traces, burnt or bulging capacitors, or corrosion. The board in question is a BN44-00502A Power Supply board, pictured below:
gfrPCsj.jpg

I've disconnected and reconnected all the cables going to and from the board to make sure they have good contact, but the display is still periodically coming on and off. Given the electrical buzz and the fact that this is the power supply board, I'm worried that further testing might cause damage to the board or, worse, the screen itself.

I'd like to repair the television, but I lack fancy tools to do so outside of basic soldering equipment. What do any of you think? Is this a common issue that can easily be fixed, or will I have to replace the board?

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Added picture of board and a little more information about my troubleshooting.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS