[SOLVED] Screen randomly goes black on old system need help

Jun 25, 2020
Hello everyone, let me give you a little perspective.
I have an old system:

ASUS P5Q-E
Core 2 Quad Q9450 + Zalman CNPS90F
ASUS R7 250X
KINGSTON 2GB x 4
THERMALTAKE 650W
KINGSTON SSD 250GB
CASE THERMALTAKE SOPRANO RS

Some of this components have been purchased through the years, this is not the original build, cpu and gpu are rather new bought them 2nd hand from friends and worked great for some time.

So the problem was that the screen started going black while gaming for a few seconds and back to normal, then it started happening randomly and more frequently, also got some artifact and weird colors while gaming ultimately crashing my computer.
Now i know this most likely seems like a gpu problem, so i changed my thermal compound to both cpu and gpu ( not the best one, i live in argentina so im not even using a silver one, i use the one i can find at my local stores) and will definitely try getting some arctic silver...its also weird that i didnt have any problems in the past years using the same compound.
I scanned temps with SpeedFan and they all seem normal, both cpu and gpu arent even over 45c, but i do get fire icons and temps of 50c - 60c in core 0 and core 1...which i also know are nowhere near high. Case side panels are both opened and i have 1 thermaltake cooler on the rear and a stock one on the front to maintain air flow. Its not a demanding build and its quite well cooled for what it is. Drivers are as up to date as they can be.

So does this just mean my gpu is donezo and i should get a new one? Im planning on building a new system but want to leave this one operational for my parents to use and maybe play some games with my brother and his other pc when i come over and visit. We mostly play League of Legends so we also dont need too much power.

Thanks in advance everyone, i want to give this old titan his last fighting chance. He sure deserves it after many years of service and joy.

Solution
I have an old system:

ASUS P5Q-E
ASUS R7 250X
KINGSTON 2GB x 4
THERMALTAKE 650W
KINGSTON SSD 250GB

Some of this components have been purchased through the years, this is not the original build, cpu and gpu are rather new bought them 2nd hand from friends and worked great for some time.

So the problem was that the screen started going black while gaming for a few seconds and back to normal, then it started happening randomly and more frequently, also got some artifact and weird colors while gaming ultimately crashing my computer.
Now i know this most likely seems like a gpu problem, so i changed my thermal compound...
I have an old system:

ASUS P5Q-E
ASUS R7 250X
KINGSTON 2GB x 4
THERMALTAKE 650W
KINGSTON SSD 250GB

Now i know this most likely seems like a gpu problem, so i changed my thermal compound to both cpu and gpu ( not the best one, i live in argentina so im not even using a silver one, i use the one i can find at my local stores) and will definitely try getting some arctic silver...its also weird that i didnt have any problems in the past years using the same compound.
I scanned temps with SpeedFan and they all seem normal, both cpu and gpu arent even over 45c, but i do get fire icons and temps of 50c - 60c in core 0 and core 1...which i also know are nowhere near high. Case side panels are both opened and i have 1 thermaltake cooler on the rear and a stock one on the front to maintain air flow. Its not a demanding build and its quite well cooled for what it is. Drivers are as up to date as they can be.

So does this just mean my gpu is donezo and i should get a new one? Im planning on building a new system but want to leave this one operational for my parents to use and maybe play some games with my brother and his other pc when i come over and visit. We mostly play League of Legends so we also dont need too much power.

Thanks in advance everyone, i want to give this old titan his last fighting chance. He sure deserves it after many years of service and joy.
Can you test by using another GPU ?
I have that R7 250X by HIS in the past, still on my garage. Seems normal but causing crash/not display even not gaming. Change it, and the problem is gone.

Solution