Hi there,
Usually answering questions but this has got me stumped. In essence, I think my system is severely underperforming.

Specs:
i9 9900k not overclocked.
Zotac RTX 2080ti TWIN FAN (notice the twin as that can affect cooling)
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB 2666 MHz
A Data 256 GB Nvme SSD
WD Blue 1 TB
Corsair H100i v2
Seasonic 750W Focus Plus Gold

I am running this on a 1080p 60 Hz panel (I will upgrade when I have more money)

Here are some performance figures:

Overwatch - Ultra (NOT epic) - 250 FPS - This always gives my GPU a temp of 80 C

R6 Seige - Very High (with Vsyn off from Nvidia control panel and in game) - 90 FPS

BF4 - Ultra - 100 FPS

PUBG - High - 90 FPS

Average temps for GPU is at 70 to 80C. CPU temps are fine.

I have made sure Vsync is off, I have rolled back drivers, updated to latest as well, done clean installs etc. I built this system last month, so dust should not be an issue but I still cleaned it out.

At first I thought I got cheated and my GPU is a fake, but I checked GPU Z and it said it was real. So I have no idea what to do now. Any clues?

EDIT: These are some benchmarks and I am nowhere close to this at 1080p https://www.techspot.com/article/1702-geforce-rtx-2080-mega-benchmark/page4.html

jackman9061

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
So I did some research to see if anybody else has this problem with the 2080Ti GPUs. And it turns out that plenty of people complained to Nvidia about it last year, here's an article from this website about it: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-gpu-defects-launch,37995.html

Not sure if your card could be effected, because it does apparently affect 3rd party RTX 2080Ti cards as well (according to the article). Best of luck.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
1440 and 1080 are two different ball games.
You wouldn't necessarily expect 1080 to simply have better frame rates than 1440, because the variation in resolution creates a variation in how your GPU and CPU work together.

Ultimately, you have a system which is made for 1440 gaming +, so 1080 is limiting both your CPU and GPU.

Theoretically - at lower resolutions, your GPU can create more frames so your CPU works more to compensate, at higher resolutions, GPU workload increases as CPU workload decreases. So it's not really comparing apples to apples.

Also is your RAM single or Dual channel?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

So I did some research to see if anybody else has this problem with the 2080Ti GPUs. And it turns out that plenty of people complained to Nvidia about it last year, here's an article from this website about it: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-gpu-defects-launch,37995.html

Not sure if your card could be effected, because it does apparently affect 3rd party RTX 2080Ti cards as well (according to the article). Best of luck.

Not sure about how FPS figures would be affected, but I have not experienced any of the symptoms listed in the article. However, the memory temps are an interesting point I need to check, thanks.

1440 and 1080 are two different ball games.
You wouldn't necessarily expect 1080 to simply have better frame rates than 1440, because the variation in resolution creates a variation in how your GPU and CPU work together.

Ultimately, you have a system which is made for 1440 gaming +, so 1080 is limiting both your CPU and GPU.

Theoretically - at lower resolutions, your GPU can create more frames so your CPU works more to compensate, at higher resolutions, GPU workload increases as CPU workload decreases. So it's not really comparing apples to apples.

Also is your RAM single or Dual channel?
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

I am running RAM in Dual, and BIOS is the latest. While I understand 1080 would be limiting, does it explain why the figures are so low, esp for R6? I would expect at least a 130 or 140 FPS for R6 at 1080p, considering it does 240 easily at 1440p supposedly. But here I am at 90.

Aug 2, 2019
Problem why you can't assume a lot more in 1080 vs 1440 is 2080ti is overkill for 1080. think of it as the 2080ti cruises through 1080 rendering so a lot times it waits for the cpu to feed it more instructions to render. so in this situation you lose performance because your gpu has to slow down to wait for the cpu. Since you have a 9900k you really have the best you can get for this problem. That's why you either need to upgrade to 1440 or better monitor or live with not getting everything out of your gpu.

Problem why you can't assume a lot more in 1080 vs 1440 is 2080ti is overkill for 1080. think of it as the 2080ti cruises through 1080 rendering so a lot times it waits for the cpu to feed it more instructions to render. so in this situation you lose performance because your gpu has to slow down to wait for the cpu. Since you have a 9900k you really have the best you can get for this problem. That's why you either need to upgrade to 1440 or better monitor or live with not getting everything out of your gpu.

I get what you are saying, but should performance still remain so low? I was testing R6 again today, and it did not cross 90, sticking to 62 to 65 FPS. Temps were also always on the high side, hitting 80C continuously.

TRENDING THREADS