Question Severe FPS drops when gaming for extended period ?

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hi, i need help with an issue that started a while back cant even remember when exactly. but basically after i game for a extended time (few hours) i begin to hit huge fps drops like 110 fps down to 10-20 fps every 10 - 15 seconds only starts after playing for a few hours and effects my whole pc, like even when I'm tabbed out when i got to type in google ill get input lag, when my taskbar hides it legs back and forward ect ect.
I know most people will say thermal throttling but everything is within temp gpu no more than 55 underload and cpu 60, ive done countless scans on the off chance its a mining virus or something crazy but still nothing,
Ive got not idea what it is and really need help!

cpu- ryzen 5 2600
mobo- asus b450 prime m-a
gpu- saphire rx5500xt

So, we have to start with the boring stuff. Is your Windows up to date? Have you tried uninstalling the gpu drivers with DDU uninstaller Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.7 (guru3d.com) uninstall the drivers then install only the newest drivers and not GeForce Expierience. Have you checked all hardware drivers for updates? I go into device manager and manually check every line that applies for driver updates. Have you tried updating your motherboard bios.? There are many past bios updates for that board. Does it have and are you using Resisizable Bar?

Failure after a time does indeed smack of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is your cpu cooler?

Graphics cards do run hot, but they are designed to do so.
50c. max suggests a problem.
Graphics cards will usually target 80c as a max temperature and run as hard as they can up to that limit.

How are you measuring temperatures? Perhaps that is a bit off.

Run Hwmonitor.
For both cpu and gpu it will show the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Failure after a time does indeed smack of a heat issue.
What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is your cpu cooler?

Graphics cards do run hot, but they are designed to do so.
50c. max suggests a problem.
Graphics cards will usually target 80c as a max temperature and run as hard as they can up to that limit.

How are you measuring temperatures? Perhaps that is a bit off.

Run Hwmonitor.
For both cpu and gpu it will show the current, minimum and maximum temperatures.

Hi,
my case is the Corsair 4000D Airflow I'm running 3 intake in front, exhaust on top and exhaust on back
I've got the cooler master hyper 212 black edition CPU cooler i put an extra fan on it as well

in terms of what i was using to monitor was using hwinfo64 and to be honest just brief checks then and again in task manager

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
So, we have to start with the boring stuff. Is your Windows up to date? Have you tried uninstalling the gpu drivers with DDU uninstaller Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.5.7 (guru3d.com) uninstall the drivers then install only the newest drivers and not GeForce Expierience. Have you checked all hardware drivers for updates? I go into device manager and manually check every line that applies for driver updates. Have you tried updating your motherboard bios.? There are many past bios updates for that board. Does it have and are you using Resisizable Bar?

thanks for you help, windows up to date in i checked device manager and went through it lkike you said and everything seems up to date, could probably do with checking mobo bios because haven't done it in a while,
ill be honest never used DDU id be happy to try it just unsure how to and where to I go to reinstall drivers after, my card is amd by the way not nvidia so its not GeForce experience its AMD adrenalin,
and ill be honest not a clue what a resisable Bar is

thanks for you help, windows up to date in i checked device manager and went through it lkike you said and everything seems up to date, could probably do with checking mobo bios because haven't done it in a while,
ill be honest never used DDU id be happy to try it just unsure how to and where to I go to reinstall drivers after, my card is amd by the way not nvidia so its not GeForce experience its AMD adrenalin,
and ill be honest not a clue what a resisable Bar is
Sorry missed that you have an AMD gpu. I read your complaint but not your build. So to uninstall your gpu drivers let's try a different way DDU can be intimidating for novice (not trying to insult your skills) users. First go to AMD.com and download newest approved/whql drivers for your gpu. AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT Drivers & Support | AMD Then go to control panel, programs- uninstall programs. Go to Amd drivers and click on them to uninstall them. Restart your computer. The screen will be using your vga drivers so dont panic that the screen looks wrong. Then go to the download section where you have the new drivers stored. Install the drivers. Restart the computer. Leave the settings as is and try using the computer for gaming to see if your problem persists.

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Sorry missed that you have an AMD gpu. I read your complaint but not your build. So to uninstall your gpu drivers let's try a different way DDU can be intimidating for novice (not trying to insult your skills) users. First go to AMD.com and download newest approved/whql drivers for your gpu. AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 XT Drivers & Support | AMD Then go to control panel, programs- uninstall programs. Go to Amd drivers and click on them to uninstall them. Restart your computer. The screen will be using your vga drivers so dont panic that the screen looks wrong. Then go to the download section where you have the new drivers stored. Install the drivers. Restart the computer. Leave the settings as is and try using the computer for gaming to see if your problem persists.
Thanks very much! and don't worry your definitely not insulting me, I've done this method before just never used DDU so I appreciate that a lot. did it no problem smooth sailing, now I'm gonna give it a while and see if it begins to act up again. as I said it tends to be after a couple hours so ill wait and see. Thanks very much, i might also go and flash my bios while I'm at it.
Thanks very much for the help!

SeanK135

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
hey there! I haven't gotten to play much the last few days so haven't had much a chance to thoroughly test if my issue is persisting, I've played for a few hours here and there and so far seems good! but a new issue has started, something I've never seen before, when I tab out of my game and then click back into it, or pause and play for example a video on my other monitor big static green/black/grey bit lines appear across the screen of my game moving up and down the screen, ALSO, now when I'm playing my game, if I had a video or anything up on my second monitor it becomes noticeably very framey/laggy which never happened before, not even when my game was having issues . Hopefully I've done an ok job at explaining this to you. Sorry if i haven't, hope you can help! thanks so much

TRENDING THREADS