gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello,

I am right on the way to upgrading my Workstation/Gaming PC. And somehow I fell in love with smaller compact builds.
I already got all the stuff:
  • MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X
  • Ryzen 9 5900X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-E
  • 2x SATA SSDs 1x NVMe
  • AIO (Full Custom Loop planed)
  • 16 GB Ram (32 GB upgrade planed)
  • A couple of RGB fans
So first I was pretty sure that I put all this hardware in the Corsair Crystal Series X 270 but because there are no great mATX (B550/X570) boards out there, mini ITX does not fit my needs, and the reviews about this case aren't the greatest (cooling performance and use of plastic) I decided to go with the new LianLi O11 Dynamic Mini.

Yeah but if you want a small build there are always compromises and this case only fits an SF(L) PSU.
Now my question:

(Tl:dr)
Does an SF750 from Corsair (750W) really handle all these components? (Especially the planned upgrade and overclocked Suprim X)

I saw many builds online using the O11 with a 3080 (Suprim X) and the SF750 is really a great quality PSU (OPP handles up to 1000W). But on the other side, a colleague of mine has a less hungry setup (TUF 3080 and i7 9700k) and his 650W PSU (What isn't that far away from my 750W) always shut of when playing Borderlands 3 so he grabbed an RM850x.

So what's your opinion/experience?

Thank you all in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Wattage alone doesn’t tell you much, the 3080 causes some high transient spikes which some psu’s don’t handle as well, even some that are considered high end PSU’s.

I’m running a 3700x and Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC on a Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Platinum and have had zero issues. This has been running since last September.

However your 3080 is a particularly power hungry version. Personally I’d expect a top quality unit like the SF750 to be ok.

power-gaming-peak.png
Wattage alone doesn’t tell you much, the 3080 causes some high transient spikes which some psu’s don’t handle as well, even some that are considered high end PSU’s.

I’m running a 3700x and Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC on a Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650 Platinum and have had zero issues. This has been running since last September.

However your 3080 is a particularly power hungry version. Personally I’d expect a top quality unit like the SF750 to be ok.

power-gaming-peak.png

Reactions: gogowe
Solution

gogowe

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Wattage alone doesn’t tell you much
Yeah definitely, that's why I thought the SF750 will still be the better option over an 850W SFX from Cooler Master.

However your 3080 is a particularly power hungry
Yes, this is/was my main concern. I think my colleague had a rather cheap PSU that could not handle the high load spikes and turned off then.

In any case, thank you I appreciate your help.
I will wait for some more answers but I am a little bit reliefed now.

Reactions: sizzling