Mazhar Malim

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015
My PC is a little on the older side, it has an i7 4790k at 4.5ghz oc all cores, 16 gigs of ram coupled with the 1060. Is it worth upgrading to newer offerings like the rx 5600 xt or rtx 2060??

(Both cards are priced almost similar to each other in my country)

I am not sure about a full system upgrade right now because i am broke af 😂, jk, i only game on it currently but i might look forward too that as it seems like most games love CPUs with more cores.

Solution
I don't think it would be worth it if you are just playing games at 1080p. I would maybe wait until the upcoming cards by nvidia or amd so you can get a better deal because the pairing between the 4790k and the 1060 seem perfect for 60 fps at 1080p. You can always upgrade to 3rd gen ryzen if you want more cores too and for a cheap price.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
I don't think it would be worth it if you are just playing games at 1080p. I would maybe wait until the upcoming cards by nvidia or amd so you can get a better deal because the pairing between the 4790k and the 1060 seem perfect for 60 fps at 1080p. You can always upgrade to 3rd gen ryzen if you want more cores too and for a cheap price.

Reactions: Mazhar Malim
Solution

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
My PC is a little on the older side, it has an i7 4790k at 4.5ghz oc all cores, 16 gigs of ram coupled with the 1060. Is it worth upgrading to newer offerings like the rx 5600 xt or rtx 2060??

I am not sure about a full system upgrade right now because i am broke af 😂, jk, i only game on it currently but i might look forward too that as it seems like most games love CPUs with more cores.
If you play at 1080p don't upgrade imo.

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011

Actually it is..with the Gddr6 route.

I got like..9 fps more with a gddr6 RAM overclock. That's big! Stable as the day is long, too.
The cards you listed have GDDR6.

GPU RAM overclocks used to net around +2 fps max.

Those days are gone, and that's a good thing.

Mazhar Malim

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015

Thank you for your reply... Seems like i have made up my mind to not upgrade right now, but if i were to buy a new CPU which one would you recommend? The ryzen 5 3600 looks enticing right now for the price but i was wondering is it worth getting the high end cpus like the 9700k or 3700x?
I'm not sure about how much of perfomance increase is expected from the next gen CPUs but i guess the previous gens will drop in price accordingly after their release(hopefully....).

Jorma04

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Thank you for your reply... Seems like i have made up my mind to not upgrade right now, but if i were to buy a new CPU which one would you recommend? The ryzen 5 3600 looks enticing right now for the price but i was wondering is it worth getting the high end cpus like the 9700k or 3700x?
I'm not sure about how much of perfomance increase is expected from the next gen CPUs but i guess the previous gens will drop in price accordingly after their release(hopefully....).
A i7 4790k is actually pretty good in 2020 for 1080p gaming. I think you should not upgrade anything until the new offerings are a lot better and you want to play at higher resolutions/framerates.

Mazhar Malim

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015
A i7 4790k is actually pretty good in 2020 for 1080p gaming. I think you should not upgrade anything until the new offerings are a lot better and you want to play at higher resolutions/framerates.
I have a very similar rig to yours, same CPU and similar GPU. If anything, you could upgrade the GPU, and that's about it. No point in upgrading anything else at the moment.

Cool then i will just upgrade my graphics card atm, i might the snag the 5600 xt or if the 2060 prices settle down in my country i might get the Msi gaming x version of it, looks baller imo.

LumRod

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hi,
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are. (same CPU, same GPU, etc), and I have the upgrade itch. The fact is so far, for what i do, which is mostly gaming (some streaming as media server for my big ass tv, and some Adobe Lightroom work too), things work mostly fine. I could have better fps on Dead Red Redemption with a newer card, but for the 1080p 60hz monitor i have i can't justify a big upgrade, and i don't believe in small upgrades.

I change my mind 10 times a day thinking about this stuff... but in the end, my rig is still solid, and i believe it can wait another upgrade cicle (Zen 3, Ampere, and even whatever Intel comes up with to battle AMD, are just around the corner, for the next months/year or so.)
Now... if i could get a RTX 2070 Super at USA prices....

Headonastick

Reputable
Mar 23, 2020
I've just bought a machine with a GTX 1060 3GB and i5 8400 now I'm thinking I should maybe have held out and found at least 6GB card, but I'm very impatient and on a sub £400 budget, oh did I do the right thing...