johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I have a Xiaomi Mi A1 smartphone and a desktop computer with a Gigabyte 970A-UD3P rev. 2.0 motherboard. The problem here is that when I connect my phone to my pc via USB 3.0 it won't transfer data it only charges. When I connect it to USB 2.0 it transfers data no problem and charges at the same time. When connected to USB 3.0 though it's charging much faster. Does anyone know what could be causing that and if there's some kind of solution for it? Thanks in advance!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
When connected to USB 3.0 though it's charging much faster.

I think that is tied into the fact your motherboard has Gigabyte On/Off charge on board as it mentions that on the front page of motherboard page

GIGABYTE On/Off Charge technology allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off. A derivative of GIGABYTE's highly acclaimed 3x USB Power feature, On/Off Charge enables devices to draw more current from GIGABYTE motherboard USB ports than standard USB ports allow, so that charging from your PC can be as fast as with a charger

So that feature might be reason it won't transfer data, might be a setting in BIOS? nope, I don't see anything here

On/Off charge utility is still available on the utilities tab of motherboard website - see here - so can follow steps it mentions to install App Center 1st to install the app

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I think that is tied into the fact your motherboard has Gigabyte On/Off charge on board as it mentions that on the front page of motherboard page

So that feature might be reason it won't transfer data, might be a setting in BIOS? nope, I don't see anything here

On/Off charge utility is still available on the utilities tab of motherboard website - see here - so can follow steps it mentions to install App Center 1st to install the app
Ok I tried installing App Center and ON/OFF Charge 2 from Gigabyte's website but it did absolutely nothing I still can't transfer data from these ports I can only fast-charge my phone. I guess I'll use USB 2.0 for data and USB 3.0 for fast charging then. It actually charges the phone as fast as a wall charger which is a really cool feature to be honest 😛 The funny thing here is that Gigabyte's utility for On/Off Charge just doesn't do anything you install it but it doesn't change the behavior of the USB 3.0 ports at all! One of the two programms also messed my system fans speeds at some point for some reason... that's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of all these utilities and all that stuff 😂

Colif

Win 11 Master