[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Bought second NVMe SSD, installed and it doesn't show up in BIOS/Windows

Apr 17, 2020
Hello! I was searching the web for the past day and I saw most quality answers here, so decided to join the community :)

I bought a second NVMe SSD drive for my current PC which I built by myself 1,5 year ago. Thought it will be a piece of cake to add the second stick... yeah...

So, the second SSD is Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB.
The first one (which I have also Windows installed in) is Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1 TB NVMe.
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X.

M2A slot: Samsung SSD
M2M slot: Gigabyte SSD

I were using the PC with Samsung EVO for the past 1,5 year and it was like a breeze, nothing bad happened except the lack of storage - so I decided to buy another one and put it in M2M slot which seemed perfect. The problem is it is not visible anywhere. Just like it wasn't there.

I disconnected my additional HDD drive, but it was in SATA4 slot 2, so it shouldn't by any problem. Still nothing.
I updated my bios (had the first edition) to the newest version. Nothing.
Looked in Windows in partition manager to see if there is unallocated space. Nope, it shows only the Samsung sad, Aorus is not present.

The last thing I had in mind was switching the ports from M2A to M2M on recognizable Samsung disk, but I will wait with it a little longer, maybe there is another, obvious way.
Do you have any ideas on what could be wrong, how to fix it and make the second stick to work?

Some screenshots from BIOS and mobo (I removed and installed the stick like 3 times to make sure it's fitting well):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sgb436WHJWtD1MZc_kXLCkOKsHA-qmDX/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0sTF3SqJoEJhZRfobVxQ84c_k1IwIIK/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hIO0Gi0anrfCu1fmXDNtHKUgyrUsCZr5/view?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance!
Lukasz

Solution
No luck finding resolution, I even gave the rig to professional technician who ... seemed to know less than me about these m.2 stuff.

Now I decided to buy an pcie adapter and I think it might work as I tested all pcie x4 slots and they work fine. I recommend you to try the same OR wait for me to test it, should arrive on tuesday.
Just got them both up and running!
Started taking out 1 of my graphic cards, Took off the heatsink, took out the NVMe 1TB and I noticed I wasn’t that wel installed, put NVMe back in(click).

next disconnected all sata cable.
leaving just the two NVM’s in whent back in the bios and now I could see both nvm’s listed.
Went back into windows using nvm’s 1tb(I pre-installed Windows on it)

Shut down...
Apr 17, 2020
Update in the topic: I switched the Samsung SSD (which worked fine) from M2A do M2M port - now it is not visible either. Reverted back to the original M2A slot = works fine again.

So, there must be something off with M2M slot on my mobo?

Apr 17, 2020
Did you try Gigabyte SSD in M2A slot?

Nope, will try it later ... I had a conference call and worked in a rush ^^

However, even if it will work in M2A, then it won't be any success as I need to utilize both slots...

Edit: but yeah, having proof that gigabyte ssd works will point at my mobo problem, right?

Apr 19, 2020
Nope, will try it later ... I had a conference call and worked in a rush ^^

However, even if it will work in M2A, then it won't be any success as I need to utilize both slots...

Edit: but yeah, having proof that gigabyte ssd works will point at my mobo problem, right?

Afternoon, reading your post, i got the same problem.
same mobo , but still M2A doesn't reconize nothing.
So kinda reading hope to find an answer.

Gr. Ray

Apr 17, 2020
Afternoon, reading your post, i got the same problem.
same mobo , but still M2A doesn't reconize nothing.
So kinda reading hope to find an answer.

Gr. Ray

No luck finding resolution, I even gave the rig to professional technician who ... seemed to know less than me about these m.2 stuff.

Now I decided to buy an pcie adapter and I think it might work as I tested all pcie x4 slots and they work fine. I recommend you to try the same OR wait for me to test it, should arrive on tuesday.

Apr 19, 2020

Started taking out 1 of my graphic cards, Took off the heatsink, took out the NVMe 1TB and I noticed I wasn’t that wel installed, put NVMe back in(click).

leaving just the two NVM’s in whent back in the bios and now I could see both nvm’s listed.

Shut down, And one by one started connecting sata’s again , graphic card back in, power on, bios making sure NVMe 1tb was still there as boot.... once back into windows format old sata.
Just done, now connecting al cables again, online now using WiFi from aorus mobo.

my thoughts... I think I didn’t put the nvme in just far enough, can’t remember hearing that click the first time I put in. And if that’s not it.... maby the sli setup, not completely done yet.
Ray

Reactions: lamparzzo
Solution
Apr 17, 2020

Shut down, And one by one started connecting sata’s again , graphic card back in, power on, bios making sure NVMe 1tb was still there as boot.... once back into windows format old sata.
Just done, now connecting al cables again, online now using WiFi from aorus mobo.

my thoughts... I think I didn’t put the nvme in just far enough, can’t remember hearing that click the first time I put in. And if that’s not it.... maby the sli setup, not completely done yet.
Ray

Great to hear you succeeded! Congrats!
I think I did all the things you mentioned, but damn, let's go again then ^^'.

Apr 17, 2020
"let's go again then " hahaha i hear yah, it's always the same .....hope will work out for you aswel!
goodluck
Gr. Ray

Yeah, problem solved with me as well ;)

The solution? Buying an adapter for second graphic card slot and completely ditching the m2m slot. Brobably broken or something. Now the drive works like magic.

Reactions: A_Ghost