Question Sony Vaio SVE14A2M6WE won't turn on. What can I do?

Babel_SW

Reputable
Mar 11, 2021
Hi, I'm working on getting an old laptop (Sony Vaio SVE14A2M6WE) into a great condition- I put in an SSD, new RAM and a new CPU (i7 3630QM).

However, when I hibernated it today, it seems to have totally bricked itself- both the Web and Assist buttons can't seem to turn it on (the original Power button has been broken for some time so I have to use these instead).

What's interesting is that when I unplug the AC adapter, press and hold one of the "power" buttons for a couple of seconds, plug the AC adapter back in and try to power the machine on, the green power light comes on for a second and slowly turns off again. I can do this once or twice before it stops working and I have to repeat the procedure again. Weird!

I have tried powering the machine on with only one RAM module present. I have tried powering the machine on with the previous CPU installed. I have tried powering the machine on without the SSD or the DVD drive. I have tried clearing the CMOS. Nothing worked.

Is there anything else I could try myself? Or do I have to send the machine to some repair shop? I don't want to spend any more money on it

Last edited: