system restore will not run (visibly)

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

I have used XP's system restore many times, though not in the past few
months. I am running SP1. Now, when I try to run it, nothing _visible_
happens. In Task mgr, rstrui.exe is shown as running in processes, but not
in Applications.

I have tried starting in safe mode|command prompt, to no avail and get the
same result. (If I try to start restore when it is already "running", I do
get a window to pop-up, but it is blank/white.)

I also followed directions at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796
compmgmt.msc did not show any evidence of system restore, but running Net
Start did show that restore is activated. I could not find any evidence of
system restore in the event viewer (following the directions at the MSKB
link). I do have plenty of disk room for restore files and the setting is
at max. (I only track logical drives C and D; other logical drives are not
tracked.)

I tried uninstalling Norton AV and McAfee's firewall, but still nothing
happens.

BTW, otherwise, Windows seems to be running.

Any ideas -- especially ideas that do _not_ require trashing all restore
files and starting over? If I do need to rebuild/repiar system restore, a
pointer to instructions for that would be appreciated.

Thanks. -- Igor

How many restore points are there now?
The classic fix is to disable System Restore on all drives, reboot, and
re-enable System Restore on your system drive. You will lose all restore
points but it sounds like restore points several months old are useless
anyway. There may be recent daily restore points, however.

"igor" <no_spam@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>I have used XP's system restore many times, though not in the past few
> months. I am running SP1. Now, when I try to run it, nothing _visible_
> happens. In Task mgr, rstrui.exe is shown as running in processes, but
> not
> in Applications.
>
> I have tried starting in safe mode|command prompt, to no avail and get the
> same result. (If I try to start restore when it is already "running", I
> do
> get a window to pop-up, but it is blank/white.)
>
> I also followed directions at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796
> compmgmt.msc did not show any evidence of system restore, but running Net
> Start did show that restore is activated. I could not find any evidence
> of
> system restore in the event viewer (following the directions at the MSKB
> link). I do have plenty of disk room for restore files and the setting is
> at max. (I only track logical drives C and D; other logical drives are
> not
> tracked.)
>
> I tried uninstalling Norton AV and McAfee's firewall, but still nothing
> happens.
>
> BTW, otherwise, Windows seems to be running.
>
> Any ideas -- especially ideas that do _not_ require trashing all restore
> files and starting over? If I do need to rebuild/repiar system restore, a
> pointer to instructions for that would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks. -- Igor

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Thanks. There are daily restore points. Besides, I cannot even start
system restore, so turning it on or off is not currently possible.

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:42:33 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote:

>How many restore points are there now?
>The classic fix is to disable System Restore on all drives, reboot, and
>re-enable System Restore on your system drive. You will lose all restore
>points but it sounds like restore points several months old are useless
>anyway. There may be recent daily restore points, however.
>
>"igor" <no_spam@sprynet.com> wrote in message
>>I have used XP's system restore many times, though not in the past few
>> months. I am running SP1. Now, when I try to run it, nothing _visible_
>> happens. In Task mgr, rstrui.exe is shown as running in processes, but
>> not
>> in Applications.
>>
>> I have tried starting in safe mode|command prompt, to no avail and get the
>> same result. (If I try to start restore when it is already "running", I
>> do
>> get a window to pop-up, but it is blank/white.)
>>
>> I also followed directions at
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796
>> compmgmt.msc did not show any evidence of system restore, but running Net
>> Start did show that restore is activated. I could not find any evidence
>> of
>> system restore in the event viewer (following the directions at the MSKB
>> link). I do have plenty of disk room for restore files and the setting is
>> at max. (I only track logical drives C and D; other logical drives are
>> not
>> tracked.)
>>
>> I tried uninstalling Norton AV and McAfee's firewall, but still nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> BTW, otherwise, Windows seems to be running.
>>
>> Any ideas -- especially ideas that do _not_ require trashing all restore
>> files and starting over? If I do need to rebuild/repiar system restore, a
>> pointer to instructions for that would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks. -- Igor

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Problem solved -- a Norton issue. Thanks.