[SOLVED] Thinking of upgrading, what of these options is the most sensible?

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Alright, let me start off by pointing out a couple of things: I need to upgrade as soon as possible because in my country prices go up constantly, wages go down, and there's just a lot of economic problems and too much inflation, so I can't wait for too long in order to upgrade. Buying used parts is unreliable, and they're generally harder to find than in other places, and older parts are generally more expensive than newer ones. Lastly, I have a limited market for parts, because things go out of stock rather quick or never even make it here, and importing isn't an option because I may pay up to 80% in taxes, and I'd also want to buy everything from the same store just so I don't have issues or extra costs when it comes to shipping.

With that out of the way, here's my situation: I have a rather tight budget, but I can probably play around with it. Let's say it's the equivalent to around $400 - $450 USD (Around $40000 ARS, at the official conversion rate, maybe some more). I'm currently stuck with this build:

• Intel Pentium G4400 Dual Core
  • NVIDIA GTX 1050 2GB Dual Fan OC
  • MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus
  • WD 1TB Blue
  • WD 160GB Blue SATA2 (Old HDD I recovered, just using it to store crap)
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Sentey 500BCP-XS (this is basically a generic PSU)
  • Win 10 Pro 64-Bits
As you can guess, this computer is outdated, the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, and it's pretty much useless because it has no hyperthreading, so it even struggles to run older games at times, and when it comes to regular usage, I end up with my PC slowing down when I'm coding, web browsing and listening to music at the same time.

My idea is to upgrade my CPU, but that would likely require me to also upgrade my motherboard, and therefore also upgrade my PSU, while keeping all the other parts for the moment. So, there's are the options I've got when it comes to CPU + Motherboard:
  • Asrock A320M-HDV + AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($24870 ARS or $254 USD)
  • Gigabyte H410M H V2 + Intel I3 10105F ($25000 ARS or $255 USD)
  • Asrock A320M-HDV + AMD Ryzen 5 3500 ($32870 ARS or $336 USD)
  • Gigabyte H410M H V2 + Intel I5 10400F ($34309 ARS or $351 USD)
  • Gigabyte H410M H V2 + Intel I5 10600KF ($37898 ARS or $387 USD)
These are the most sensible options I could find, I've skipped anything with under 4 cores / 8 threads, and everything above what I can afford, as well as some pieces that are more costly for less performance (such as an i3 9100 which was more expensive than the 10105F). I was thinking of going with the I5 10400F, although I don't know whether the price difference is worth the performance difference. Another issue that I have is that I don't think I'll be doing a clean Windows install immediately after upgrading (don't have time nor a way to backup many of my files other than partitioning my disk), and changing my motherboard and CPU without doing this will usually mean I need to reactivate Windows (got this under control), but most importantly that there could be issues with drivers, and this is most likely if I switch from Intel to AMD (I could use advice on this though).

Now, regarding the PSU, anything above C tier is way too expensive, and I was only able to find just some affordable C-tier PSUs:
  • Corsair CV450 450W (Black label, 2020 I think?) ($5855 ARS or $60 USD)
  • Deepcool 600W DA600 ($6540 ARS or $67 USD)
  • Be Quiet! 500W U9 ($6550 ARS or $67 USD)
  • ADATA 550W XPG PYLON ($6850 ARS or $70 USD)
  • ADATA 650W XPG PYLON ($7960 ARS or $81 USD)
  • Corsair CV650 650W (Black label as well) ($7790 ARS or $82 USD)
  • Be Quiet! 600W U9 ($8590 ARS or $88 USD)
I'm not sure of what to pick from these, I have little to no idea of PSUs, I've been advised to go for a decent one but even then I don't know what a decent one is lol.

I plan on keeping whatever I build for at least 2 years, but it could be longer, judging by how our economy is going down the drain, so I'd want to make sure that whatever I pick is able to last. I plan on buying a SSD, switching to 16GB and maybe getting a new GPU within now and the next year (but maybe scratch the last one in the short term). I'll obviously be using the computer for gaming, but also for everyday tasks, coding, image editing, audio production, streaming and other things.

Sorry for the long post, but any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'll be purchasing these parts likely this week.

Solution
Alright, let me start off by pointing out a couple of things: I need to upgrade as soon as possible because in my country prices go up constantly, wages go down, and there's just a lot of economic problems and too much inflation, so I can't wait for too long in order to upgrade. Buying used parts is unreliable, and they're generally harder to find than in other places, and older parts are generally more expensive than newer ones. Lastly, I have a limited market for parts, because things go out of stock rather quick or never even make it here, and importing isn't an option because I may pay up to 80% in taxes, and I'd also want to buy everything from the same store just so I don't have issues or extra costs when it comes to shipping...
Alright, let me start off by pointing out a couple of things: I need to upgrade as soon as possible because in my country prices go up constantly, wages go down, and there's just a lot of economic problems and too much inflation, so I can't wait for too long in order to upgrade. Buying used parts is unreliable, and they're generally harder to find than in other places, and older parts are generally more expensive than newer ones. Lastly, I have a limited market for parts, because things go out of stock rather quick or never even make it here, and importing isn't an option because I may pay up to 80% in taxes, and I'd also want to buy everything from the same store just so I don't have issues or extra costs when it comes to shipping.

With that out of the way, here's my situation: I have a rather tight budget, but I can probably play around with it. Let's say it's the equivalent to around $400 - $450 USD (Around $40000 ARS, at the official conversion rate, maybe some more). I'm currently stuck with this build:

• MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus
  • WD 1TB Blue
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Win 10 Pro 64-Bits
As you can guess, this computer is outdated, the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, and it's pretty much useless because it has no hyperthreading, so it even struggles to run older games at times, and when it comes to regular usage, I end up with my PC slowing down when I'm coding, web browsing and listening to music at the same time.

My idea is to upgrade my CPU, but that would likely require me to also upgrade my motherboard, and therefore also upgrade my PSU, while keeping all the other parts for the moment. So, there's are the options I've got when it comes to CPU + Motherboard:
These are the most sensible options I could find, I've skipped anything with under 4 cores / 8 threads, and everything above what I can afford, as well as some pieces that are more costly for less performance (such as an i3 9100 which was more expensive than the 10105F). I was thinking of going with the I5 10400F, although I don't know whether the price difference is worth the performance difference. Another issue that I have is that I don't think I'll be doing a clean Windows install immediately after upgrading (don't have time nor a way to backup many of my files other than partitioning my disk), and changing my motherboard and CPU without doing this will usually mean I need to reactivate Windows (got this under control), but most importantly that there could be issues with drivers, and this is most likely if I switch from Intel to AMD (I could use advice on this though).

Now, regarding the PSU, anything above C tier is way too expensive, and I was only able to find just some affordable C-tier PSUs:
I'm not sure of what to pick from these, I have little to no idea of PSUs, I've been advised to go for a decent one but even then I don't know what a decent one is lol.

I plan on keeping whatever I build for at least 2 years, but it could be longer, judging by how our economy is going down the drain, so I'd want to make sure that whatever I pick is able to last. I plan on buying a SSD, switching to 16GB and maybe getting a new GPU within now and the next year (but maybe scratch the last one in the short term). I'll obviously be using the computer for gaming, but also for everyday tasks, coding, image editing, audio production, streaming and other things.

Sorry for the long post, but any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'll be purchasing these parts likely this week.
i think it would be better like this:
i3 10100f/10105F + Asrock B560M HDV or Pro4 + Klevv C710 or Team MP33 or 34 the 256gb ones (you could buy this later) + Be Quiet 600w U9. I've read that your country voltage is around 220v @50hz that is the same like mine, so a FSP HV Pro 550W or Antec VP500P (or VP500P V2) is good and cheap enough for the upgrade. As per why B560 chipset motherboard is because they're better for future upgrades, also B560 Chipset mobo could run xmp speeds (3200mhz++ is now possible on intel B560 motherboard). So when you're about to upgrade the ram to 3200mhz++ and its cheap compared to other ram with lower speed, you wont waste the speed :D

Before you're upgrading your components make sure you uninstall your processors on Device Manager like this:
unknown.png

then shut your pc down and install the components, and boot up again, only if you clone your windows. If you fresh install your windows then you dont have to do this step :D

Last edited:
Reactions: necroheadbanger
Solution

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
i think it would be better like this:
i3 10100f/10105F + Asrock B560M HDV or Pro4 + Klevv C710 or Team MP33 or 34 the 256gb ones (you could buy this later) + Be Quiet 600w U9. I've read that your country voltage is around 220v @50hz that is the same like mine, so a FSP HV Pro 550W or Antec VP500P (or VP500P V2) is good and cheap enough for the upgrade. As per why B560 chipset motherboard is because they're better for future upgrades, also B560 Chipset mobo could run xmp speeds (3200mhz++ is now possible on intel B560 motherboard). So when you're about to upgrade the ram to 3200mhz++ and its cheap compared to other ram with lower speed, you wont waste the speed :D

Before you're upgrading your components make sure you uninstall your processors on Device Manager like this:
unknown.png

then shut your pc down and install the components, and boot up again, only if you clone your windows. If you fresh install your windows then you dont have to do this step :D

Thanks for the reply. I don't think any of the PSUs you've mentioned are available over here, though. I can only really go with those I've mentioned. Would the 600W U9 be necessary? I could save some money going for the 500W and probably buy RAM right now.

Last edited:

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
I've also checked some comparison videos, and the performance of the I5 against the I3, at least in gaming matters, it's almost negligent, but the price difference is huge. I might go with the i3 10105F.

I've also checked some comparison videos, and the performance of the I5 against the I3, at least in gaming matters, it's almost negligent, but the price difference is huge. I might go with the i3 10105F.
because the i5 have 2 more cores and 4 more threads compared to i3, while this i3 is almost the same as i7 7700 with the exception of no igpu and 2mb cache lower. personally i would opt for 10100f or 10105f + b560m motherboard :D

• MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus
  • WD 1TB Blue
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Win 10 Pro 64-Bits

Hi there

Where in Argentina are you located?, CABA or somewhere else?

This is my humble opinion:

I would try to avoid the H410 and H510 chipset if posible, not only if you plan to upgrade to a Core i5 later down the line, but also because most of the Hxxx boards only comes with really low end features.
I know its not the best B560 example but even the Gigabyte B560M DS3H should be at good price and a better choice, 4 x RAM slots and 2 x M.2 ports, not great but decent VRM (if you don't remove power limits of the K parts).

And yes considering you only have 40K to expend I would try to go for the Core i3 10100F or 10105F.

For the PSU, I build a few PCs with this EVGA xxxx BR (for example: https://www.fullh4rd.com.ar/prod/15109/fuente-600w-evga-br-80-bronze) so far no issues (cross fingers), I guess Corsair CV are also a choice here.

Too bad about AMD, I feel most B550 mobos are way better than intels B560 ones, not only in terms of features but also VRM. Then again AMD CPUs are way too expensive (in Argentina) now.

Last edited:

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Hi there

Where in Argentina are you located?, CABA or somewhere else?

This is my humble opinion:

I would try to avoid the H410 and H510 chipset if posible, not only if you plan to upgrade to a Core i5 later down the line, but also because most of the Hxxx boards only comes with really low end features.
I know its not the best B560 example but even the Gigabyte B560M DS3H should be at good price and a better choice, 4 x RAM slots and 2 x M.2 ports, not great but decent VRM (if you don't remove power limits of the K parts).

And yes considering you only have 40K to expend I would try to go for the Core i3 10100F or 10105F.

For the PSU, I build a few PCs with this EVGA xxxx BR (for example: https://www.fullh4rd.com.ar/prod/15109/fuente-600w-evga-br-80-bronze) so far no issues (cross fingers), I guess Corsair CV are also a choice here.

Too bad about AMD, I feel most B550 mobos are way better than intels B560 ones, not only in terms of features but also VRM. Then again, AMD CPUs are way too expensive (in Argentina) now.

I'm located in Entre Ríos. Local stores sell everything at expensive prices in comparison to stores such as CompraGamer, which is the place I trust the most and that has the best prices, specially if paying everything at once.

Yeah, I'm now convinced of going for a 10105F and a B460M-DS3H V2, which for its price offers many features and should work well. In fact, I might even use the price difference to buy a used PS3 or Xbox 360, as I've seen some that are at around $10000 here in my city. I could otherwise buy two sticks of 8GB RAM, but that would make things a bit more expensive (around $43000), and I might not want to push my budget to the limit.

B460M-DS3H V2
is a B560 motherboard too expensive there? B560 is still a better choice than B460. They're better regulated cause intel said so and they could do memory OC which is a bonus if you buy any ram above 2933, you could run on the speed (especially if the faster ram costs the same than the lower speed ram). B460 just make a little sense for me today.

Reactions: RodroX

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
is a B560 motherboard too expensive there? B560 is still a better choice than B460. They're better regulated cause intel said so and they could do memory OC which is a bonus if you buy any ram above 2933, you could run on the speed (especially if the faster ram costs the same than the lower speed ram). B460 just make a little sense for me today.

A B460M-DS3H V2 is $12500 ($128) while a B560M-A is $16220 ($166). I'm not so sure whether the price difference is worth it. Next time I upgrade I'll likely change my motherboard yet again, but that's gonna be in some years.

Last edited:
A B460M-DS3H V2 is $12500 ($128) while a B560M-A is $16220 ($166). I'm not so sure whether the price difference is worth it. Next time I upgrade I'll likely change my motherboard yet again, but that's gonna be in some years.
Is there no any cheap B560M? Asrock B560M HDV is plenty enough for i3 10100/5F and i5 10400F, while Pro4 and Steel Legend is better. Upgrading the motherboard is not worth if you dont see the value yet, like going B460 to B560, so it's better to get the B560 mobo so that you could take the benefit when youre about to upgrade the ram into faster speeds and stuffs.

necroheadbanger

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
Is there no any cheap B560M? Asrock B560M HDV is plenty enough for i3 10100/5F and i5 10400F, while Pro4 and Steel Legend is better. Upgrading the motherboard is not worth if you dont see the value yet, like going B460 to B560, so it's better to get the B560 mobo so that you could take the benefit when youre about to upgrade the ram into faster speeds and stuffs.

I did a bit of research, and I was able to find an Asrock B560M-HDV being sold for $13950 ($142), and it has free shipping. That's the cheapest B560 I could find.

EDIT: I could get a U9 500W + I3 10500F + B560M-HDV for $35500 ($362 USD). I think this is the way to go. Next month I could spend around $10200 ARS ($104 USD) (at the current price) to get 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz.

Last edited:
I did a bit of research, and I was able to find an Asrock B560M-HDV being sold for $13950 ($142), and it has free shipping. That's the cheapest B560 I could find.

EDIT: I could get a U9 500W + I3 10500F + B560M-HDV for $35500 ($362 USD). I think this is the way to go. Next month I could spend around $10200 ARS ($104 USD) (at the current price) to get 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz.
Yep, B560M HDV is pretty much enough if you're not planning to upgrade to rocket lake (11th gen) or any comet lake above i5 10400F. Well if you want to upgrade to i7 10700/F and above, you could just sell the mobo and the i3, so yeah pretty much it ^^

Thats not the worst B560 mobo out there, so I guess as long as you don't try to run a "K" CPU with power limits disable I think you should be ok.
It only have 2 dimm stlos, and no heatsink on the VRM but its cheap for a reason jejeje.

Anyways, be sure to make airflow good inside your case and you should it be good to go.

Cheers!

Thats not the worst B560 mobo out there, so I guess as long as you don't try to run a "K" CPU with power limits disable I think you should be ok.
It only have 2 dimm stlos, and no heatsink on the VRM but its cheap for a reason jejeje.

Anyways, be sure to make airflow good inside your case and you should it be good to go.

Cheers!
Yup, pretty much a base good motherboard to get some experience with memory OC/running XMP Speeds, so that if an upgrade needed, you'll pretty know what good motherboard for your need based on the budget :D