Question Toddler pressed On/Off multiple times, bricked my PC

Dec 13, 2020
Hi,

I built my unit in 2011 it was a powerful rig for gaming back then.
Since I've settled had 2 kids and PCs took more of a back seat in my life unfortunately I'm demoted to a low end Acer laptop.
My PC was broken by my son before we moved homes and has been sitting dormant in my garage for a year but I'm now determined to return to PCs and get this back online.
I've opened the rig up and it still ticks over but that's as far as it goes.
It was turned on and off about 20 times by a 1 year old until it failed booting.
There is no motherboard post beep it just goes on all the fans are spinning but there's no display and no beep.
It will stay on quite quietly and might after a while restart itself especially if I've turned it on and off lots while I've been troubleshooting.

I assume its likely to be the motherboard or power supply unit?
Im leaning towards motherboard but its the most tedious part to replace with CPU transfer etc I just need some opinions please.

SPEC
------
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
CPU : Intel i7-4770K (intelligent estimate cant find purchase info)
RAM : 2xCorsair and 2xgeneric unknown total
GPU: nVidia GTX 7080 I think (has 2 fans both move on boot)
PSU: OCZ Technology 500w (OCZ500SXS2)
HDD : 500GB old school drive

Interestingly I did have an additional small cheap fan fitted myself at the lower front of the case this was for additional cooling.
It makes a clicking noise if it is plugged in and while troubleshotting I unplugged from motherboard and clicking noise stopped.
It plugs into the SPEAKER input of the motherboard near to where the rest of the power button thin wires go.
It has stopped working and is the only fan that doesnt work all other system fans do.
The clicking noise was not obvious it was comming from the fan took a bit of troubleshooting.
I tried plugging it into SYS_FAN2 but it stil doesnt work cant remember if it clicked or not though.
This fan was cheap online so it might just be a coincidence it may have broken before the PC stopped working I dont know.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It was turned on and off about 20 times by a 1 year old until it failed booting.
HDD : 500GB old school drive
its possible the problem is windows is broken from the multiple restarts. Or the hdd itself.

have you tried turning it on without the hdd attached? see if you get any signs of life. You said fans spin, but no screen action, it could be waiting for the hdd.

Do you happen to know if it would boot off a USB without needing any changes in the invisible bios? could try to boot off a USB and see if you get any further
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else.

If you can get it boot off the USB I can at least see if windows on hdd works still.

you got your GPU wrong, that model still doesn't exist yet :)

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
its possible the problem is windows is broken from the multiple restarts. Or the hdd itself.

have you tried turning it on without the hdd attached? see if you get any signs of life. You said fans spin, but no screen action, it could be waiting for the hdd.

Do you happen to know if it would boot off a USB without needing any changes in the invisible bios? could try to boot off a USB and see if you get any further
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive if nothing else.

If you can get it boot off the USB I can at least see if windows on hdd works still.

you got your GPU wrong, that model still doesn't exist yet :)

I’ve tried it with hard drive and disc player unplugged it’s the same boot up

I’ve not tried it with usb boot

lol gpu defo wasn’t 7080 it’s either 780 or maybe 980 Msi brand