Question Trying to get sound from HDMI or Displayport from R7 260X from different cables. One cable to TV for HDR one cable to AVR for 5.1

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
HTPC specs
Motherboard : msi a320m-a pro (1 HDMI port only)
CPU : Ryzen 3200G
AVR : Yamaha RX-V377
GPU : R7 260X (1 HDMI, 1 Displayport)
TV : LG 4K 55 inch IPS can't remember model has 1 HDMI, 1 HDMI eARC (1 HDMI has a firestick which I can't move or else..)

I'm trying to use one of the outputs of the GPU for picture directly to the TV to get HDR (the AVR is old and doesn't have AVR passthrough) and one output to the AVR for 5.1 HDMI passthrough. Both outputs are on the R7 260X, both work independently fine.

I have tried HDMI to TV and Displayport to AVR(via HDMI adapter) and I get HDR picture from HDMI but no sound in AVR. I checked Sounds (playback devices) and all the other sound devices are disabled.

I have tried Displayport(via HDMI adapter) to TV and HDMI to AVR. I get HDR picture again from Displayrort(via HDMI adapter) but again no sound from HDMI to AVR. I checked again Sounds (playback devices) and all the other sound devices are disabled.

Afterwards I did a restart and things went nuts there.. it recognises the AVR as another display and it's asking what to with multiple displays..
I can't see anything in Device Manager or the Sounds (playback devices) as everything is greyed out with a red icon like they're not connected..

I was told if I had 2 HDMI outputs I could get picture from one and audio from the other one but I don't know now if it's a limitation of the chipset or something else..?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
What OS are you working with? You can set your default audio output in Windows OS to be the port that goes to your AVR. Might want to pass on screenshots of what you're seeing in Device Manager(in terms of audio and video adapter output) as well as Sound Manager.
Windows 10 I'll do some screenshots in a bit as I'm still at work.

In terms of setting up the default audio output the only option that is usable is the HDMI that goes to the TV and that's the only thing it sees as connected/enabled. That is in Sound - Playback Devices. Nothing else can be selected.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
What OS are you working with? You can set your default audio output in Windows OS to be the port that goes to your AVR. Might want to pass on screenshots of what you're seeing in Device Manager(in terms of audio and video adapter output) as well as Sound Manager.
View: https://i.imgur.com/omE1A5w.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/I2khnED.png

That's what it looks like.
In Sounds where it lists the playback devices there is more further down but it all looks the same there are multiple instances of Digital Diplay Audio etc

In Sounds where it lists the playback devices there is more further down but it all looks the same there are multiple instances of Digital Display Audio etc
Audio from an HDMI port requires an Intel driver. This will result in an entry HD Audio Driver for Display Audio in the Sound, Video and game controllers section of the Device Manager. Try downloading the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and see if it will detect that one is missing and install it for you.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I managed to fix it last night in the end by uninstalling both devices and getting windows to delete the drivers and then running DDU for good measure and I got Windows to install each device one at a time using its own drivers instead of donwloading the official AMD drivers and now it works fine and recognises the AVR as a sound device!