[SOLVED] Unable to to install windows 10 from USB pen drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2022
I recently upgraded my pc hardware (Toshiba Satellite c50 A) by adding SSD 256 gb and extra ram of 4 gb. Now my ram is 8 gb. Before upgrading hardware, I also had window 10, but old version (I had disabled updates). After the hardware upgrade, I installed the lattest version of window 10 by as usual process - going to bios menu, then boot menu, change the boot priority to SSD (I was trying to boot from the pen drive, but the technician who upgraded my hardware, told me to boot from this new SSD, thus made it 1st priority...), then clicked F10, then install open open.....blah blah...then I was able to install os...then made updates and able to use pc.

Now I want to install OS again. Intialy I was unable to open the bios menu (in my pc I have to press F2 after start); then I watch some YouTube video and they told me to force shut down and then try again. I did and then able to open the bios menu.

Then I go to the boot menu. Here No matter what I tried, I was unable to boot. I tried changing priority to SSD/pen drive, then F10 for save-exist....No success...always opening normal window..not the install option.
//Check my boot menu screenshot: https://prnt.sc/25zsznm

I cross checked my pen drive, all fine...create bootable again and again using Rufus. Used both MBR/GPT partition ways.

I tried changing my window account to local account....

Tried all possible search in google...

Plz help...how to boot from my pendrive and install OS again ?

USAFRet

Titan
Recreate the USB flash drive to install from.
Boot from that, install.

Reactions: debdon
Jan 3, 2022
Recreate the USB flash drive to install from.
Boot from that, install.

Thanks for replay. I will use that advice as last option. Right now can u tell me why I am unable to do it. While 2 days back I was able to do it. What is the problem. I want to format the c drive again and install os there. That's why I want to install it from the boot menu. Any idea?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for replay. I will use that advice as last option. Right now can u tell me why I am unable to do it. While 2 days back I was able to do it. What is the problem. I want to format the c drive again and install os there. That's why I want to install it from the boot menu. Any idea?
"install from the boot menu"
Not sure what you mean there.

You select the USB in the boot menu, maybe.
But if the flash drive is not working, then you recreate it. Or replace it.

(I was trying to boot from the pen drive, but the technician who upgraded my hardware, told me to boot from this new SSD, thus made it 1st priority...), then clicked F10, then install open open.....blah blah...then I was able to install os...then made updates and able to use pc.
If you can't install from USB drive for some unclear reason, then install the same way technician did it.

https://tipsmake.com/how-to-install-windows-10-from-internal-hard-drive-partition

dabidoy

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
the ssd you are pertaining to is the new drive right? how can you boot from that if it is new? could you have unknowingly/accidentally selected the USB drive with the windows installer? hence you were able to install windows.

anyway, i think you should format the USB, make it a windows installer again and install it on the intended drive.

Jan 3, 2022
Updates: I am able to boot from the usb now. I gues my usb 3 port has some issue, so when I tried in usb 2 , it worked....

Meantimes too I got many errors. Instead of gpt partition in Rufus, I choose MBR; then in my bios boot option, I changed it to csm....then only I was able to install window....also after success install + restart, it again asked for "press any key to boot from usb" (this is my 2nd trial, in previous same trial, I pressed a key and it staredted installing window again)...so this time I just removed the usb asap...then all goes to normal....Now I am on the language choose page😇😇

Did I make everything right guys???

Regarding removing the usb after restart, regarding choosing MBR in Rufus + csm in boot...

So will this installation is right?

dabidoy

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
isnt csm for older windows? i think windows 7. i know csm should be disabled and gpt is enabaled. that was how i did it.

but if it worked for you, just review your drives and bios after installation.

Jan 3, 2022
Updates 2:

Now window is updating: https://paste.pics/FJQ29

What I did:
  • instead of GPT, I choose MBR in Rufus
  • changed the boot setting from UEFI to CMS boot
  • instead of using default usb 3 port (which is still working well, but not know why window was not booting from it), I choose usb 2 port
  • after install successful and restart, it ask for press any key to boot from usb. In this time I remove the usb and window started to run automaticaly, then as usual process like pasword, internet etc...then open normally
  • then I opened bios, change the boot order to SSD
  • now I am updating the window.
My final question:
Is this installation OK ?

Or I have to reinstall again with GPT/UEFI boot... ?

Jan 3, 2022
I see one problem there.
Bootloader partition on Disk 0 is very small - only 50MB. Recommended bootloader partition size is 350MB to 500MB.
Sometimes windows updates may try updating bootloader. If update fails because of insufficient space available, this can result in unbootable system afterwards.
Regarding that Disk 0, after my hardware upgrade + 1st successful OS install (in that time it was GPT partition + UEFI boot); I checked disk management again. And it was default 50 mb on that time too.

So I guess this time too, it was again 50 mb (even after formatting SSD & installing window there).

Should I increase its size using mini tool partition wizard?

Thus How to increase its size?
Option #1 - using 3rd party partition management software - like Minitool partition wizard. Be prepared to repair bootloader after this.
You'll have to boot from windows installation media and use bcdboot command to repair bootloader.​
Option #2 - reinstall windows. This time clean target drive with diskpart clean method first. Windows install will create appropriate partitions as necessary.

Jan 3, 2022
Option #1 - using 3rd party partition management software - like Minitool partition wizard. Be prepared to repair bootloader after this.
You'll have to boot from windows installation media and use bcdboot command to repair bootloader.​
Option #2 - reinstall windows. This time clean target drive with diskpart clean method first. Windows install will create appropriate partitions as necessary.
Thanks for suggestion. Right now I am very tired as I have invested almost 5 hours in this and now successful...Will buy new pc after 2-3 months. If I do not change those 50 mb now, will it create any issue while using my pc in this 2-3 months ?

Jan 3, 2022
Regarding unbootable system problem, can this be solved if happened..Like by formatting the SSD and installing SSD again👍. Or I will not be able to install any OS again at all⚠️.

Jan 3, 2022
Sure.

If your SSD fails and locks up, then you can't install anything onto it. It has to be replaced then.
Brother, I have successfully increased the reserved memory of my SSD using mini tools. Then I also converted both my hdd and SSD to GPT. Also I had to change my biol boot to UEFI.

https://paste.pics/FJUW1

https://paste.pics/FJUXH

My question:

1) Before converting the SSD from MBR to GPT, there was 3 partition. One was system reserved, one c drive containing windows, one recovery.

Now there is automatic another drive called EFI system partition. What is this.

Also regarding these 4 partition in the SSD, should I delete/combine any of thes or increase anyone's size.

2) After converting to GPT, there is no option to make any drive logical in the mini tool setting...is this fine?

Jan 3, 2022
Hello friends, intialy my both SSD and HDD were MBR. I also installed my window using MBR partition scheme in Rufus.

Intialy there was 3 partision in the SSD. 1st was System reserved, 2nd was C drive containing windows, 3rd was called System recovery.

See: https://paste.pics/FJQD3

Here the system reserve memory was low (50 mb), so I increased it to 500 mb using mini tools.

Then using minti tool I converted both SSD and HDD to GPT.

Now in the SSD section there is 4 partition. One is System reserve, 2nd is C drive related, 3rd is a NEW one called EFI system partision, 4th one does not have a name but it contains the recovery data (while it was MBR).

See pics: https://paste.pics/FJUW1 and https://paste.pics/FJUXH

Now I am going to reinstall window using GPT partion way in the Rufus. Before this I have some questions.

So my questions are:

1) Is everything fine in the SSD. Should I increase any drive's size (ex: EFI drive) or delete/merge any drive (ex: the unknown drive which contain the old recovery data while it was MBR)

2) There is no option to convert any drive to logical in my HDD. Is this fine in GPT. I searched in Google, but found no info.

3) While installing window, should I format the all partion of ssd like the system reserved, c drive, EFI, the unknown drive..

1) Before converting the SSD from MBR to GPT, there was 3 partition. One was system reserved, one c drive containing windows, one recovery.
Now there is automatic another drive called EFI system partition. What is this.
Also regarding these 4 partition in the SSD, should I delete/combine any of thes or increase anyone's size.
EFI system partition is UEFI bootloader. 200MB is better than 50MB, but it's still below recommended size.
The partition you increased from 50MB to 550MB is useless now.
You can delete I: and J: partitions and D : partitions. After conversion to GPT there is no function for them.
2) After converting to GPT, there is no option to make any drive logical in the mini tool setting...is this fine?
GPT doesn't support extended partition and logical drives.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hello friends, intialy my both SSD and HDD were MBR. I also installed my window using MBR partition scheme in Rufus.

Intialy there was 3 partision in the SSD. 1st was System reserved, 2nd was C drive containing windows, 3rd was called System recovery.

See: https://paste.pics/FJQD3

Here the system reserve memory was low (50 mb), so I increased it to 500 mb using mini tools.

Then using minti tool I converted both SSD and HDD to GPT.

Now in the SSD section there is 4 partition. One is System reserve, 2nd is C drive related, 3rd is a NEW one called EFI system partision, 4th one does not have a name but it contains the recovery data (while it was MBR).

See pics: https://paste.pics/FJUW1 and https://paste.pics/FJUXH

Now I am going to reinstall window using GPT partion way in the Rufus. Before this I have some questions.

So my questions are:

1) Is everything fine in the SSD. Should I increase any drive's size (ex: EFI drive) or delete/merge any drive (ex: the unknown drive which contain the old recovery data while it was MBR)

2) There is no option to convert any drive to logical in my HDD. Is this fine in GPT. I searched in Google, but found no info.

3) While installing window, should I format the all partion of ssd like the system reserved, c drive, EFI, the unknown drive..

if you clean install windows 10 it includes deleting all those partitions anyway, windows will recreate the ones it needs
see guide below
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

It helps to only have drive in pc you want windows on, so I would remove the other one (or remove its data cable at least) and reattach it once windows is installed. It stops windows putting itself on other drives

converting mbr to gpt and then clean installing was a waste of your time as a clean install wipes partitions and if win 10 recognises drive can be installed as GPT it will use it. No need to format before hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.