boyanhristow

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,

I’ve been getting into undervolting recently and I found it super beneficial with my 1080 Ti Aorus, non-extreme as I like my PC quiet and run my fans on low RPM, due to this the GPU can sometimes hit 80°+ underneath max load.

Undervolting made a world of difference as my card is now running 66° - 70° on 0.850V at 1797 MHz.

My question and concern is with the Idle temps.
After undervolting I’ve found that the card is now locked to that voltage/clock speed and keeps a constant 54° - 56° in Idle, unlike stock where it simply drops clocks and voltage staying around 30°+

I know that idling a 50ish isn’t that high or concerning but I was looking if there’s a way to configure it so that it drops power after I exit a game and keep my cool idle temps.

If anyone knows if it’s possible to configure this in MSI Afterburner I’d appreciate a response.

Solution
When undervolting you should always try to keep your clock or atleast don't lower it below FE clock. Right now you're card has performance of overheating FE card. I've been usually running 1860mhz/0.900mV or 1910Mhz/0.950mV. Also you card is hot in idle because you locked the voltage so it doesn't drop after you stop playing game.

boyanhristow

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Not necessarily. Leaving it stock will automatically lower voltages when in Idle whereas undervolted will not, hence the difference in Idle temps.

On full load however stock reaches 80+ while undervolted it barely exceeds 70. A simple fan curve cannot accommodate for such a huge difference as the primary noise factor is when under load.

patrykpanek3

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
When undervolting you should always try to keep your clock or atleast don't lower it below FE clock. Right now you're card has performance of overheating FE card. I've been usually running 1860mhz/0.900mV or 1910Mhz/0.950mV. Also you card is hot in idle because you locked the voltage so it doesn't drop after you stop playing game.

Solution