[SOLVED] Upgrade 2010 System or Build a New one? For Gaming and Casual Video/Photo Editing

Aug 19, 2020
Hi all,

This might be way out of the question, but thought I'd ask. I've currently been gaming on an gaming laptop for the past 5 years now and it's starting to hit it's limit when playing COD warzone (all low settings) getting around ~40 fps and doing average playing Overwatch (all low settings).

I don't need a laptop anymore, so I'm looking to jump back into a desktop and could use the forums help here. I have an old system from way back in 2010 that's just sitting in the closet and wondering if I can do anything with it.

What I want to do:
  1. Gaming - COD Warzone, Overwatch, New Blizzard games, and single player games like Star Wars Fallen Jedi Order. As for FPS, looking for something around consistent ~140s or more with those first person shooters as I am competitive when I game.
  2. Productivity - Because of shelter in place, I want to get off of my macbook and work off of this. A lot of e-mails/excel etc. nothing heavy duty at all. I'm one of those that has multiple windows and tabs open at one time.
  3. Casual Video Editing - Take lots of video with GoPro Hero 8 and Sony A6600 of mostly family and trips we take. Just wanting to piece them all together for keepsakes, and nothing professional.
Question - should I upgrade from my old desktop PC build OR just start brand new?

Old Desktop PC build (Newegg Wishlist Link)

New Desktop PC Build:
  • Don't know where to start as been out of the parts picking game, so you'll all be doing me a solid.
  • Budget - Can I achieve what I mentioned < $1k? If to get ideal version and last for a while, willing to go up to $1.2k. Or am I dreaming here and I need to up my budget?
  • Preference - No flashy RGB. Want it quiet, discrete, but powerhouse on the inside. Family man.
  • I heard Nvidia and AMD coming out with new CPU/GPU, should I wait? Will it drop pricing on older models or outperform current?
  • Monitor - I also have this monitor already. Should I take advantage of the g-sync?
The challenge is out there, help a fellow pc enthusiast. Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
I'd say get a new system.
That cpu is actually still decent, but since the graphics card is so new i guess its been upgraded already, and i wouldn't go much higher than a gtx 960.
It has a sata II ssd and a very old psu in it, replacing all those would just be a waste for a computer that wouldn't last for more than a 2 years

So my suggestion is a new system, as for budget, well a 1000 dollars is a pretty nice place to be, and going over wouldn't give you much benefit, as a casual gamer and editor, unless you plan on gaming at that 3440X1440p resolution, and hope to get 120hz.
(That monitor is pretty nifty.)

So, as for a new system, we don't know when will amd release their new cpu and gpus, my guess is around the holidays, so I...
I'd say get a new system.
That cpu is actually still decent, but since the graphics card is so new i guess its been upgraded already, and i wouldn't go much higher than a gtx 960.
It has a sata II ssd and a very old psu in it, replacing all those would just be a waste for a computer that wouldn't last for more than a 2 years

So my suggestion is a new system, as for budget, well a 1000 dollars is a pretty nice place to be, and going over wouldn't give you much benefit, as a casual gamer and editor, unless you plan on gaming at that 3440X1440p resolution, and hope to get 120hz.
(That monitor is pretty nifty.)

So, as for a new system, we don't know when will amd release their new cpu and gpus, my guess is around the holidays, so I wouldn't wait, but as for Nvidia gpus, they are almost 100% being announced in 10 days (7/1)
and releasing throughout the month of september so for those I would wait.
As for the rest of the system, get whatever parts are well reviewed, and ask for more advice on the forum for specific part pickings and system making.

Solution