Jul 24, 2020
Hi Everyone! I have $350 budget for upgrades on my build... what would you suggest i get. I am a video editor (using premiere and after effects) and currently my build has an i5-8400 stock cooler GTX 1060, 16gb DDR4 2666mhz (I know kinda slow), 500gb ssd, 1tb ssd, 2tb hdd. I have a pretty cheap case, but what upgrades should i consider to get faster renders and better timeline performance with my build? Any input is helpful! (And btw i do not need a storage upgrade)

Jul 24, 2020
Hi Everyone! I have $350 budget for upgrades on my build... what would you suggest i get. I am a video editor (using premiere and after effects) and currently my build has an i5-8400 stock cooler GTX 1060, 16gb DDR4 2666mhz (I know kinda slow), 500gb ssd, 1tb ssd, 2tb hdd. I have a pretty cheap case, but what upgrades should i consider to get faster renders and better timeline performance with my build? Any input is helpful! (And btw i do not need a storage upgrade)

Jul 24, 2020

The Bottleneck in your case will be throughput, less than it would be horsepower. SATA is a slow interface for your needs (max 6GB/s) look into using PCIe.. especially 16 if your logic board has that capability. PCIE will boost throughput to 16GB/s, nearly 3 X faster than SATA.

If you use a modern solid state with large source files, keep it under 50% usage space wise. A true video editing station will use as much ram as you got. While you are working it will buffer frames before and after what you are working on.

Otherwise if might be time to consider a used quadro card which has better performance under premiere