therats21098

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
Here is my current PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($375.27 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($149.97 @ Amazon)

I will be doing animations and I also want to play video games / stream them. I think it's time to upgrade my CPU. This means I will need a new motherboard as well and cooling system for the new CPU.

I am thinking of getting; 1) AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7GHz AM4 Desktop Processors (which is on sale for 120$ off Canadian) 2) Noctua NH-D15 for cooler 3) GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE

Do you think this will fit in my mid-tower and the combination makes sense?

Or should I just build a new one from skracth? I feel stuck.

UPDATE*
Appearnly its best to just get a new PC here is a build for one;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Light Tint ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1609.79

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I will be doing animations and I also want to play video games / stream them. I think it's time to upgrade my CPU. This means I will need a new motherboard as well and cooling system for the new CPU.

I am thinking of getting; 1) AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7GHz AM4 Desktop Processors (which is on sale for 120$ off Canadian) 2) Noctua NH-D15 for cooler 3) GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE

Do you think this will fit in my mid-tower and the combination makes sense?

Or should I just build a new one from skracth? I feel stuck.
Without knowing exactly which case it is difficult to say for sure. The most likely problem is that the cooler will be too tall to allow you to put the side cover on.
Do you already have DDR4 RAM to go with the parts listed ?

therats21098

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
Without knowing exactly which case it is difficult to say for sure. The most likely problem is that the cooler will be too tall to allow you to put the side cover on.
Do you already have DDR4 RAM to go with the parts listed ?
I think its ddr3ram I don't think my motherboard is compatible with DDR 4 RAM , I also edited my post to add more information.
I put a link but it disappeared.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think its ddr3ram I don't think my motherboard is compatible with DDR 4 RAM , I also edited my post to add more information.
I put a link but it disappeared.
The cooler don't fit, you need to buy DDR4 memory to work with what your buying and if your power supply is as old as that processor this would be a good time to replace it.

This might be a good time to replace everything take your video card out and sell the rest as a working PC.

therats21098

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
The cooler don't fit, you need to buy DDR4 memory to work with what your buying and if your power supply is as old as that processor this would be a good time to replace it.

This might be a good time to replace everything take your video card out and sell the rest as a working PC.

Honestly yup , it seems to be the best idea to start fresh and save the GPU.
Its weirdly hard to let go lol
I updated my original post for a new build. Since I'm starting school and saved the money I can now justify a new PC. Might as well enjoy it a month early too.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2021
Don't deny yourself the increase in knowledge and experience gained from taking on a build project. You're going through the same things everyone does trying to wade through the myriad of options and difference system configurations, all the while crippled by the fear you're going to screw up and buy a component that doesn't work for worse, can't be returned and exchanged. Hang in there bro. You can do this. Don't wimp out buying someone else's system design.