[SOLVED] Upgrading from FX6300! Need help Deciding CPU, RAM, Motherboard

Goku Kakkarot

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Hello Guys :hello:
First of all I want to state my current PC Config:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
MOB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 rev1.3 :nomouth:
GPU: Sapphire R9 270x 2GB (Died 2 Months Ago :sad: )
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GBx2 DDR3 @1600
HDD: 1TB WD Green
PSU: Corsair CX650M (It's the grey one which is a good tier 2nd PSU) (6 Months Old)
Everything inside a Corsair Spec-01 Cabinet.

Since GPU had died I thought of buying a new GPU with 20000 INR Budget. But then I realized I should move to Ryzen series but that will cost even more because I will have to do a full system upgrade.

So...

I am planning on building a Ryzen PC.
BUDEGT: Strictly 20,000 INR (281.13 USD)

Since I am to build a gaming PC but currently spending on the important parts (Mobo, RAM, CPU only so that my PC atleast could turn on and I could do my work.
Parts that I have selected so far...

Note: I will be posting products with price in INR (Indian Rupees) & USD (United States Dollar)
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @[10,390 / $145.83] || Cheapest I could find on online stores
MB: Asrock B450 Pro 4 @[6,930 / $97.27] || Asrock B450M Pro 4 @[5,835 / $81.9]
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z @3000MHz 1x8GB @[4,436 / $62.26]
TOTAL: 21,756 / $305.3 with ATX || 20,661 / $289.99 with MicroATX

I am actually confused in Motherboards. Both of them have same features only the size difference that I have noticed so far.
I like the ATX more . It also has a bigger chipset Heatsink & looks better but it is ~$16 costlier.

For Ram I am planing to get a RGB one. :benetton:
I am not getting 2x 8GB because it will go out of budget. I will add another stick later.

Note: One more thing to notice that I will not be playing much games but when I will be playing, I will only be playing AAA games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Far Cry 5, etc. Mostly i will be doing computer programming, 2D game designing. Working with Unity Engine, Adobe Illustrator, Java etc. So without GPU it will be hard but I will manage as I am managing for 2 months without GPU on current build and even without any graphics driver because my current motherboard doesn't support drivers for Windows 10.
So...
Alternate Build: I am thinking of getting APU so that I could work as well as play games until I get a GPU.
CPU: Athlon 200GE APU @[4,400 / $61.76] || Ryzen 5 3400G @[12,960 / $181.9]*
MB: Asrock B450 Pro 4 @[6,930 / $97.27] || Asrock B450M Pro 4 @[5,835 / $81.9]*
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z @3200MHz 2x8GB @[9,500 / $133.34]* || G.Skill Trident Z @3000MHz 1x8GB @[4,436 / $62.26]**

TOTAL*: 20,830 / $292.36
TOTAL**:
23,231 / $326

Case*: I will be upgrading the CPU later on and sell the current one. I will get two 8 GB RAMs in this build.
Case**: Already costly enough :homer: I will not be upgrading 2400g for a good while and also I will choose MicroATX with it.
I will also get the GPU later on in both cases but i will loose the power of CPU 😕 :??:

Now suggest me whatever is best. My Budget will remain 20000 INR I can stretch it to 21k-22k only.
Please don't suggest an Intel build 🇳🇴 :fou: because I have already looked into it. And Intel Motherboards are too costly here in India.
Also I am not going to buy any CPU cooler.

GPU I will be getting is- GTX 1660 6GB (Non-Ti) || RX 580 8GB but that's a later case.

Thank You

Last edited:
Solution
LMAO, I have ancient machine, I guess.

Okay going with the APU - One thing should be considered as well that I am definitely going to get a GPU in the future. So, will my 3400G not bottleneck with the GPU? Also will it not be less powerful as a CPU when I have an iGPU?
Also,

Ryzen 5 1600 @$145.83 + GPU GT710 @$40.7 = $186.53 is a good deal "OR"
Ryzen 5 3400G @$181.9 is a better performance deal?
The 710 is crap - the APU is actually faster. While a 6-core Ryzen would indeed be more future proof, the 3400G is nothing to scoff at - as a high clocked, multithreaded CPU it actually is as fast as the best gaming CPU of 2017.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
misconception: your current motherboard has the GPU on it which is why it works with no GPU, there is one on the motherboard.
the motherboard in the first system is APU ready with the GPU ports but it NEEDS an APU or the system will not work at all without a GPU - there is not a GPU on the motherboard and it will not work as your current system is.

first system is not possible at all without a GPU, sorry.

the second system with an APU would be the better route as it will work until you can upgrade the iGPU.

Reactions: Goku Kakkarot

Goku Kakkarot

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
misconception: your current motherboard has the GPU on it which is why it works with no GPU, there is one on the motherboard.
the motherboard in the first system is APU ready with the GPU ports but it NEEDS an APU or the system will not work at all without a GPU - there is not a GPU on the motherboard and it will not work as your current system is.

first system is not possible at all without a GPU, sorry.

the second system with an APU would be the better route as it will work until you can upgrade the iGPU.

First of all thanks for clearing my misconception. And thanks for reading this long post, really appreciated.

Okay, so this motherboard doesn't have a GPU. I thought all motherboards have a Graphics chip. 😕
I would really appreciate if you answer my question on the performance basis. Or which one will be more future proof. 🧀

Suggest-
  • Should I go with the first build and get the cheapest GPU possible?
  • Or go with the APU (3400G) one?
  • Also, if you could suggest a better motherboard with an integrated graphics chip that will be helpful as well.
  • lastly, Athlon APU build: is it even worth considering?

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
First of all thanks for clearing my misconception. And thanks for reading this long post, really appreciated.

Okay, so this motherboard doesn't have a GPU. I thought all motherboards have a Graphics chip. 😕
I would really appreciate if you answer my question on the performance basis. Or which one will be more future proof. 🧀

Suggest-
  • Should I go with the first build and get the cheapest GPU possible?
  • Or go with the APU (3400G) one?
  • Also, if you could suggest a better motherboard with an integrated graphics chip that will be helpful as well.
  • lastly, Athlon APU build: is it even worth considering?
I'd do the APU 3400G if you can't purchase a GPU right now. The Athlon will have to be upgraded later anyways, costing you more in the long run. GPU chips on motherboards have mostly died out in the past almost 10 years or so, the one you had would have been one of the last.

Goku Kakkarot

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I'd do the APU 3400G if you can't purchase a GPU right now. The Athlon will have to be upgraded later anyways, costing you more in the long run. GPU chips on motherboards have mostly died out in the past almost 10 years or so, the one you had would have been one of the last.

Okay going with the APU - One thing should be considered as well that I am definitely going to get a GPU in the future. So, will my 3400G not bottleneck with the GPU? Also will it not be less powerful as a CPU when I have an iGPU?
Also,

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador

Yes, a Ryzen 5 3400G is only a 4 core 8 thread chip, the Ryzen 5 2600X which is about the same price is a 6 core 12 thread chip. You are getting less CPU performance for the price because of the iGPU.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Don't forget, if you get the APU you will need to get 2 sticks of RAM: APU performance is very dependent on memory bandwidth, as such using dual channel ram (and fast ram at that, 3000+) is pretty much mandatory.

quite true and good catch.
not just the CPU will be reliant on the bandwidth the RAM brings but the GPU too. system RAM is slower than onboard GDDR5, so any little boost in the memory performance will pay off for both the GPU and CPU.
running with a single stick is like taking away one of my crutches. I'll get there but it would be loads faster with two.

Also,

The 710 is crap - the APU is actually faster. While a 6-core Ryzen would indeed be more future proof, the 3400G is nothing to scoff at - as a high clocked, multithreaded CPU it actually is as fast as the best gaming CPU of 2017.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS