mustangmarcus

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-ar050wm
Motherboard: HP 8357
CPU: AMD A10-9620 APU
GPU: AMD Radeon R5 Graphics

I've been doing research on how to upgrade my GPU for a while now, and figured that because it's integrated I need a new motherboard. In my research I also learned that it is very looked down on to try and upgrade a motherboard on a laptop, because it's a compact system I am better off just getting a more expensive laptop. I'm satisfied with my CPU on this computer and my ram is sufficient however the GPU is my problem. In my computers service manual, the motherboard variations was a bust and I have not found good advice on how to get a motherboard from a higher end computer and make it fit in my midlevel computer (this is the main part of my question). I can't play games smoothly and even at lowest graphics I get a lot of lag spikes. My goal is to get a better motherboard that has better gpu (possibly more vRam?) And I'm hoping there is someone who can tell me I dont have to pay $1500 to enjoy my games :D Any advice is appreciated and in advance thank you for all your help.

Solution
the most you could hope to upgrade would be what the system shipped with, the motherboard form factor is limited to a model. there are not likely any oother motherboards that will fit, AND that have better graphics.
laptop upgrades are limited to RAM, drives, keyboard and maybe the CPU all due to the uniqueness of each system board.

your money would be better spent on a newer system - not a laptop.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the most you could hope to upgrade would be what the system shipped with, the motherboard form factor is limited to a model. there are not likely any oother motherboards that will fit, AND that have better graphics.
laptop upgrades are limited to RAM, drives, keyboard and maybe the CPU all due to the uniqueness of each system board.

Reactions: mustangmarcus
Solution

mustangmarcus

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
Definitely a new one. Laptop motherboards generally are not upgradeable. I am sure there are some exceptions, but an A10 equipped HP would not be one of them. What games are you looking to play?

I just want to make sure I understand what your saying. Can you elaborate/rephrase when you say "I am sure there are some exceptions, but an A10 equipped HP would not be one of them." Do you mean that i should not expect much from the A10, in that case i would agree with you. One game I am thinking about getting is "Subnautica: Below Zero" and one I already have is "ARK Survival Evolved"

I apologize but I am confused when you say "your money would be better spent on a newer system - not a laptop." because the majority of you post seemed like it was saying not to get a new motherboard. Perhaps when you said "system" were you referring to a Desktop Tower (PC)?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
sorry for the confusion, yes I meant a desktop computer.
a laptop is a what you buy is what you get unit. as I stated upgrades are few and limited.
a desktop or parts of it can be used for a long time. my current PC case is 17 years old and has housed three previous motherboards, and more GPU's.

even small mini ITX system are far more serviceable/up-gradable than any modern laptop. many new laptops will have a lifespan of the battery that is sealed inside the unit.

mustangmarcus

Prominent
Aug 12, 2018
sorry for the confusion, yes I meant a desktop computer.
a laptop is a what you buy is what you get unit. as I stated upgrades are few and limited.
a desktop or parts of it can be used for a long time. my current PC case is 17 years old and has housed three previous motherboards, and more GPU's.

even small mini ITX system are far more serviceable/up-gradable than any modern laptop. many new laptops will have a lifespan of the battery that is sealed inside the unit.
OK. Thank you for your help, I just needed someone to confirm that reality to me :D I guess a better plan for me would be to keep my laptop because it's good for my work and everything else except gaming, and invest in building a gaming desktop. I'm know this will lead to another research adventure and if you having any resources that will point me in the right direction as far as making sure all the parts fit, I would greatly appreciate that also. But overall thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it being so quick