[SOLVED] Upgrading my current PC to handle 120+ fps

chrisc92

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi All,

My current monitor has died which is a dell u2414h 24 inch 60hz monitor.

I am going to buy the Dell S3220 32 inch 166 hz monitor.

The question is with my current specs will I need to upgrade my parts? I play FPS games and would like to see smoother results. With low settings on Valorant I am hitting 70 fps and lower.

Current specs:
  • asrock fatal1ty h87 motherboard
  • i5-4570
  • gtx 970
Proposed upgrade:
  • change the CPU to i5-4690
  • Recommendations for graphics cards?
I don't want to spend too much for an upgrade. I don't find the need to start from scratch and spend a couple of grand to play high definition games just yet. I still feel we haven't reached the point where 4k game play at 100+ fps is the norm for example, also graphics cards are just so overpriced at the moment.

I am reaching out to the community to get some opinions on:
  1. will the upgrade of cpu/gpu have compatability issues with my outdated motherboard?
  2. What FPS will I hit with the monitor im set on getting with the proposed upgrade?

thanks for your time! I appreciate your opinions in advance

Last edited:
Solution
Going from an i5-4570 to a 4690 isn't really worth the upgrade unless it's practically for free. You're basically talking the same CPU with a 300 MHz higher clock and slightly better thermal interface material.

GPU/motherboard compatibility is only really a thing when you're talking really old motherboards (like 2010 and older) that have BIOS and not UEFI. The bigger deal is PSU compatibility and suitability. Can't really say much without knowing your exact PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Going from an i5-4570 to a 4690 isn't really worth the upgrade unless it's practically for free. You're basically talking the same CPU with a 300 MHz higher clock and slightly better thermal interface material.

GPU/motherboard compatibility is only really a thing when you're talking really old motherboards (like 2010 and older) that have BIOS and not UEFI. The bigger deal is PSU compatibility and suitability. Can't really say much without knowing your exact PSU.

Solution

chrisc92

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015

Ah yes sorry i forgot to add that in.... My PSU is an Antec 620w