LuckyHood

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Hi, guys. I bought myself an Asus Rog Strix G17, and I was thinking to use a cooling pad for it. A friend of mine told me that this laptop got Intelligent Cooling and that a Cooling Pad can actually harm it. Can you give me any advice on it?

Solution
'Intelligent Cooling', pfft. Marketing mumbo-jumbo that doesn't mean jack... but if it's drawing in customers, then props to Asus' marketing team, because it's working as intended.

A cooling pad isn't even necessary. All you need to do is raise the back end of the laptop. This will improve ventilation.
No real need to throw 20-30USD on some fancy cooling pad - which, by the way, it's the elevation that's contributing the most to the enhanced cooling, and not the fans than some manufacturers slap on 'em.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I wouldn't worry about it. Asus usually have pretty well cooled laptops. Cooling pads applied more to older laptops that commonly had heating problems.
I suggest, if you are worried about CPU and GPU temps, that you keep an eye on them. Laptop CPU and GPU temps can be from 40C to 80C and still OK.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
'Intelligent Cooling', pfft. Marketing mumbo-jumbo that doesn't mean jack... but if it's drawing in customers, then props to Asus' marketing team, because it's working as intended.

A cooling pad isn't even necessary. All you need to do is raise the back end of the laptop. This will improve ventilation.
No real need to throw 20-30USD on some fancy cooling pad - which, by the way, it's the elevation that's contributing the most to the enhanced cooling, and not the fans than some manufacturers slap on 'em.

Reactions: LuckyHood
Solution

LuckyHood

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015

It says it self cleans some like that. But thanks.