Question video card not recognized after driver update

Large_Ogre

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Hi guys,

I switched from windows 7 to 10 recently and when I try to update my graphics driver my PC stops seeing my GTX 960 and uses my motherboards internal graphics card,

currently I have a geforce driver from 2017 that windows 10 installed itself, and in my device manager I can see that I have 2 video cards, they also both heat up ...
I tried disabling the device, uninstalling it, it keeps coming back and generating heat,

I tried reinstalling the driver a few times(and different versions) and cleaned it with DDU, everytime the GTX 960 is not recognized.
my motherboard is Z68P-DS3 I have the latest drivers.
internal graphics card Intel HD graphics 3000
GTX 960
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 2 monitors.

On windows 7 I had no problems with my GPU whatsoever.

Looking for some help!
Thanks ahead.

Last edited:
Don't allow Windows 10 OS updates to install any drivers. Always do a manual clean re-install/update of the GPU drivers. Disable 1 monitor for the time being. What does it actually say under the Device Manager settings ?

Does it say, "Microsoft Basic Windows Adapter", with an ERROR code 43, or something else ? Is there a Yellow triangle exclamation mark ? Which 2 GPUs are displayed in the DEVICE MANAGER, the integrated and the GTX 960 ?

Which Power supply do you have ? You should have stayed with Windows 7 OS though. Even I'm on Win7, no issues whatsoever. Tried using Windows 10 once, but it was so buggy, and I had format my SSD. The latest WIN 10 patches/updates have been very unstable though.

Large_Ogre

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Well I deleted the Internal driver from the device manager, I am not sure how to do so manually, If I delete it and disable updates it still comes back when I reboot -

I get both cards in Device manager and on the GTX I get error 43 saying "Widnows has stopped this device because it has reported problems" with an yellow '!'

My power supply is kinda old Antec 620 and I wish I could stay on Win7 but gotta switch to Win10 in 2020 anyway so I wanna get used to it now, also the boot time is amazing + some utilities are comfy for me.

Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective.

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well. Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard ? Do you still get the same problem ? Physically remove the GPU, and just try booting via the iGPU.

And, what about the OS SAFE MODE ? What info does the Device manager show in safe mode ? As a last resort, I would try doing a FRESH Windows OS install, if required. Doing a clean format of your drive sometimes help