[SOLVED] Weird buzzing noise at high GPU usage

logibeak

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
whenever i run minecraft with shaders my computer begins to make this weird buzzing noise. this is not any of the fans in the system as I unplugged both fans from the fan header and the noises persisted. it also only does it when the shaders were enabled and when Fortnite was at unlocked FPS.

here is a link to a video recorded with my phone capturing the sound. towards the end is when I deactivate the shaders and the noise goes away
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zfgubkoIqZdw1I9Z3gueA-VDK8D31c-x/view?usp=sharing

i also tried unplugging the internal audio header and it did nothing

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hi.

The video you linked is set to private so I cannot view it.

If you can, try to see if the noise is coming from the power supply/power brick. The process by which outlet power is converted to usable power for the system involves things that can make a buzzing noise of varying strength depending on the condition and the quality of the unit.

This would be the only cause I could think of if it's certainly not the fans (or a hard drive disk)

logibeak

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Hi.

The video you linked is set to private so I cannot view it.

If you can, try to see if the noise is coming from the power supply/power brick. The process by which outlet power is converted to usable power for the system involves things that can make a buzzing noise of varying strength depending on the condition and the quality of the unit.

This would be the only cause I could think of if it's certainly not the fans (or a hard drive disk)
I just updated the permissions for the video, you should now be able to view it. while I await your response I will see if its the power supply

FelixLive44

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
that's probably what it is. the PSU is 100% silent. What I do notice though is it is a lot quieter of a buzz than before. only thing I really changed was I unplugged the onboard audio

Multiple things buzz at varying degrees in a PC but if the PSU is silent and the noise you're refering to is the stronger one at the start of the video, then I'd think
drivinfast247 is correct.

TRENDING THREADS