Question Weird SSD problems...

Sep 17, 2022
Basically, at a random point of time when I reboot my machine it won't boot. It'll get stuck at the "ASUS" BIOS logo. And then when I unplug, reboot, and plug the SSD back in, it boots just fine. No errors during use! Another thing, when I try to boot off a USB drive with the SSD plugged in it also freezes.

The only indicator lights that flash is a red light once during boot, and I've heard that's normal.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8B75-M

Basically, at a random point of time when I reboot my machine it won't boot. It'll get stuck at the "ASUS" BIOS logo. And then when I unplug, reboot, and plug the SSD back in, it boots just fine. No errors during use! Another thing, when I try to boot off a USB drive with the SSD plugged in it also freezes.

The only indicator lights that flash is a red light once during boot, and I've heard that's normal.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8B75-M
Post a screenshot from crystal disk info for all disk.

Sep 17, 2022
Nothing shows bad.

Is there some reason you did not use the sata 3 port for the ssd?
I do believe this is a motherboard from 2012 paired with an SSD purchased in 2020. So it's highly likely there's a bottleneck.

I'm pretty much lost with whats wrong with my system. Now when a USB drive is plugged in it just does a reboot loop.

Here's the entire PC's specs in case needed:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050ti (4gb VRAM, ASUS card)
RAM: 3gb 4x (12gb) 1333 MHz
SSD: Sandisk SDSSDH3512G (512 GB Capacity)
Motherboard: ASUS P8B75-M
BIOS Revision: Latest
Operating System/System Software: Windows 10 Professional (19044.2006) 22H1 (I think)

Recent Discoveries
When using a different drive and plugging in a USB drive, it still gets stuck on the logo. Only one test of the known working drive has been done, so I have yet to determine whether it is the cable or the drive.

Sep 17, 2022
You do have a sata 3 port on the mobo.

Try it.
I heavily question how that will fix the issue.

Also the only ports are a Sata 3G port, and a Sata 6G port. The Sata 3G being present, and the Sata 6G being just a mountain point for a header.

Update: Sata 3G is Sata 2, I don't have Sata 3 with this board.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022
It appears that the system works fine even after rebooting as long as I don't boot off the SSD. Unplugging the Sata change but not the power cable didn't fix the issue even temporarily. So it has to be something related to power.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Are you sure it is the SSD? When I get similar issues, it is always some USB-device. Doesn't have to be storage. BIOS just struggles identifying the USB device so a boot takes forever. Try unplugging USB-devices until it goes away. It could be USB-device, it could be a USB-port as well. I know I have one faulty USB-port. Linux told me (in the boot-up logs). So I don't use that port.
Just last week I had a MicroSD-card that was so damaged, no partitioning program would work on it. I tried in Linux, in Windows. And it would take forever to boot my machine. I used a USB-toMicroSD-adapter. So that explains it.

Sep 17, 2022
after hours of tinkering and doing things, it no longer freezes after a reboot. But one issue still exists.

If ANY USB drive is plugged into the device, and a reboot is done. It will freeze at the bios logo, and whenever a USB drive is unplugged and I reboot again.. it works