Feb 8, 2022
I have a GT 1030 in my system that I bought 5 years ago for 80 dollars. I want to keep using it and not pay exorbitant prices for a new one. Is there any way I can squeeze some extra gaming performance out of it for another year or two? I am currently running a system consisting of:
CPU: Ryzen 3 3300x (overclocked as much as safely possible)
GPU: ASUS GT 1030 (overclocked to about 1500mghz)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A II
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600 (running at 3600 speed)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 650W 80+ Bronze
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth (for now)
Case: DeepCool MACUBE 110 WH Micro ATX (with a third case fan added)

Solution
Fps is a responsibility of the Cpu, not the gpu. The gpu is a limiting factor. So the more fps you can feed the gpu, the better. Until the gpu becomes the limiting factor due to details/resolution.

Tailor your graphics details, don't rely on the presets. There's 2 kinds of details, gpu bound and cpu bound. With a 1030 you'll be running into gpu bound limits more often than cpu. Lowering things like AA, field of view, grass details, shadows, bloom etc lowers cpu bound details, lowering tessalation, character details etc lowers gpu bound.

So per game, you'll set a higher than comfortable preset, then start lowering different settings to see what changes fps and what doesn't have any real fps affect. The end result being the best...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What sort of titles are you taxing the GPU with? Squeeze out, nope. I'd leave it as is in order to have as a backup card in case your latter generation card purchase has an issue/RMA.

Also, might want to throw that PSU out the window. It shouldn't be considered a PSU either which way.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nvidia Image Scaling might be your friend. It's not going to turn a 1030 into a powerhouse or anything, but might give you that little bit longer before you need to upgrade.

Kinda like a 'poor mans' DLRR or FSR. Not exactly, but lower resolution and upscaled...

As you lower resolution being scaled, it will put more strain on the CPU, but a 3300X shouldn't take too much of a hit.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ho... 17 Dec, 2021,match your monitor's native res.

Reactions: overclockedhuman
Feb 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What sort of titles are you taxing the GPU with? Squeeze out, nope. I'd leave it as is in order to have as a backup card in case your latter generation card purchase has an issue/RMA.

Also, might want to throw that PSU out the window. It shouldn't be considered a PSU either which way.
I have been playing Apex Legends mostly, with about 50-60fps. It isn't really an option to get a better GPU at the moment, so I am going to have to make the best of what I have. Interesting, are there any PSUs that you would recommenced in about that same price range?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is a responsibility of the Cpu, not the gpu. The gpu is a limiting factor. So the more fps you can feed the gpu, the better. Until the gpu becomes the limiting factor due to details/resolution.

Tailor your graphics details, don't rely on the presets. There's 2 kinds of details, gpu bound and cpu bound. With a 1030 you'll be running into gpu bound limits more often than cpu. Lowering things like AA, field of view, grass details, shadows, bloom etc lowers cpu bound details, lowering tessalation, character details etc lowers gpu bound.

So per game, you'll set a higher than comfortable preset, then start lowering different settings to see what changes fps and what doesn't have any real fps affect. The end result being the best picture you can get, at an fps level you can live with.

Reactions: overclockedhuman
Solution
Feb 8, 2022
Nvidia Image Scaling might be your friend. It's not going to turn a 1030 into a powerhouse or anything, but might give you that little bit longer before you need to upgrade.

Kinda like a 'poor mans' DLRR or FSR. Not exactly, but lower resolution and upscaled...

As you lower resolution being scaled, it will put more strain on the CPU, but a 3300X shouldn't take too much of a hit.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-to-use-nvidia-image-scaling#:~:text=Published on 17 Dec, 2021,match your monitor's native res.
Thank you very much I will try that out.

Feb 8, 2022

So per game, you'll set a higher than comfortable preset, then start lowering different settings to see what changes fps and what doesn't have any real fps affect. The end result being the best picture you can get, at an fps level you can live with.
Okay, that makes sense, thank you for your help!