Question What thermal pads should I use for my GPU?

Jul 4, 2023
Hello, i'm new here and I was hoping if you guys can help me with some questions I have regarding my gpu maintenance. I have a Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (https://www.gigabyte.com/pe/Graphics-Card/GV-N2060OC-6GD-rev-10#kf) for almost 4 years and everytime I do maintenance to my gpu, it's mostly cleaning the dust and changing thermal paste (i've changed it twice so far), but now I would like to change the thermal pads. I've read threads about thermals pads and gpus and people say that I have to check the correct measures of them, not to thick or slim so I can avoid damage, so I'm scared to get it wrong. Can you guys help me figuring out what thermal pads should I use regarding measures and what brand do you recommend? Also, how often should I change thermal pads and paste on my gpu? Thanks in advanced.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm scared to get it wrong.
Then don't do it. When you can afford to take the risk, or have a Plan B, go right ahead.

Can you guys help me figuring out what thermal pads should I use regarding measures and what brand do you recommend?
Brand does not matter.
Measure the depth of the original pads - but even if you know that, it's still a risk and a guessing game, because even retail pads of the same thickness come in different degress of hardness, and no one really knows what works until after they've put the gpu back together.
Or, wait for a reply from someone on the exact pads they've successfully used with that specific gpu... but due to how niche this activity is, you could be waiting forever.

how often should I change thermal pads and paste on my gpu?
Almost never; don't try to fix what ain't broke, or you might put it in that state.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Ive seen the video but pads and paste are two different beasts.

TP unlike paste are thicker and if cheap materials are used might not conduct heat at all. Their quality is more crucial than paste as paste just fills scratches and air gaps.
TPs do that but also usually act as giant gap fillers.

They should last longer than thermal paste in my experience. I've pulled apart electronics where they are hard as a rock after a year and also pulled apart electronics where the pads are still gummy 15 years later.

Reactions: Jhordi