Jan 13, 2020
CPU - ryzen 5 2600
GPU - msi gtx 1060 6gb
motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. AB350M-Gaming CPU

ram - 8 gb

I'm planning to upgrade ram to 16 gb for sure, but what about cpu and gpu? what upgrades would you suggest? for longevity perhaps. My aim is gaming.

Solution
AM4 is only expected to have new CPUs through this year, per AMD. Zen 3 is supposed to still be DDR4 from everything I have seen.

However, your B350 motherboard chipset may not support the latest chips, but B450, and B550 motherboards are cheap, so that wouldn't be a huge upgrade cost.
Jan 13, 2020
I would wait. A new generation of consoles, games and hardware is upon us.
Upgrading a mid range rig now, probably not good in next generation would be a waste.
Would you say that the motherboard will be compatible with future cpus and gpus? Last issue I had with my last rig is that if one part had to be changed, all of it had to be upgraded otherwise it wouldn't be compatible.

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
Would you say that the motherboard will be compatible with future cpus and gpus? Last issue I had with my last rig is that if one part had to be changed, all of it had to be upgraded otherwise it wouldn't be compatible.
AMD are kind when it comes to changing cpu sockets. Maybe in 2 years you can upgrade cpu with presumeably am5 socket cpus. But they still use am4 sockets and major mobo companies gigabyte asus etc do bios updates so you can put in the new cpus.
GPU no problem.
Ive had the same problem.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AM4 is only expected to have new CPUs through this year, per AMD. Zen 3 is supposed to still be DDR4 from everything I have seen.

However, your B350 motherboard chipset may not support the latest chips, but B450, and B550 motherboards are cheap, so that wouldn't be a huge upgrade cost.

Solution