[SOLVED] When to get a 3000 series graphics card & What 2k monitor to get for it?

Nerzul007

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hello!

I have been sitting on a Gigabyte 980 Ti xTreme gaming for 5 years now and I am looking to upgrade.
I am a chill streamer (not a big one) and would also like to use the card for that as well as gaming/editing (don't really care about editing/rendering time). I would also like to upgrade to a 2K main monitor preferably at 144Hz.

These new 30 series cards all look very interesting and what I would like to know is:
When should I buy one of these cards? I am more interested in a 3080 than any other card (depends on the price of course). I don't want the F.E., I am looking at AORUS or Strix versions. Are they safe to get in the 1st month? Or should I wait more months?

This is my current config:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 700M with stock fans
PSU: Corsair RMx Series White RM850x 2018, 80+ Gold, 850W
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x62
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti XTREME GAMING 6GB GDDR5 384-bit
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Quad Channel Kit
SSD: Intel 660p Series 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 6TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB & Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 2TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 128MB
Monitors: BenQ 2411 Zowie 1080p 144Hz & Samsung Gaming LC24FG73FQUXEN Quantum Dot Curbat 23.5 inch 1 ms Black FreeSync 144Hz main monitor.

Last edited:
Solution
You get one when you want one. There are reasons to buy straight away or to wait. If you wait you don’t know how long it will be for stocks to stabilise. There are also some predictions the 3000 series could start another mining buying craze inflating prices. However if you buy immediately you are more likely to have driver issues. You won’t many if any reviews on 3rd party cards so you are buying blind and could buy a dud. In your country what are your return policies like? In the UK I can send back with no cost so my plan is to buy immediately (if I can get one) and then make a decision if I keep it if the reviews tell me I have a dud.
You get one when you want one. There are reasons to buy straight away or to wait. If you wait you don’t know how long it will be for stocks to stabilise. There are also some predictions the 3000 series could start another mining buying craze inflating prices. However if you buy immediately you are more likely to have driver issues. You won’t many if any reviews on 3rd party cards so you are buying blind and could buy a dud. In your country what are your return policies like? In the UK I can send back with no cost so my plan is to buy immediately (if I can get one) and then make a decision if I keep it if the reviews tell me I have a dud.

Solution
Reactions: Nerzul007
Sep 13, 2020
In terms of long time value I would wait, 2 reasons, first connectors, the currently revealed cards will be issued with HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4, no DP 2.0, DP 2.0 can deliver incredible rates of 10 k resolution at 60 hz, in a two display setup it can deliver 8k at 120 hz which is awesome and future proof to some point. HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4 do not have any of that.
Second, memory! 8k and above are not far off, delivering a card with merely 10 GB of VRAM is a stunt to cut prices but maximize profit. It is no longer state of the art.

We have to wait upon the real testing of Ampere but I can already tell that it is not the real big deal Nvidia wants you to believe. If AMD and Big Navi can deliver DP 2.0 and more VRAM than you get a legitimate rival!

In terms of long time value I would wait, 2 reasons, first connectors, the currently revealed cards will be issued with HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4, no DP 2.0, DP 2.0 can deliver incredible rates of 10 k resolution at 60 hz, in a two display setup it can deliver 8k at 120 hz which is awesome and future proof to some point. HDMI 2.1 or DP 1.4 can have none of that.
Second, memory! 8k and above are not far off, delivering a card with merely 10 GB of VRAM is a stunt to cut prices but maximize profit. It is no longer state of the art.

We have to wait upon the real testing of Ampere but I can already tell that it is not the real big deal Nvidia want's you to believe. If AMD and Big Navi can deliver DP 2.0 and more VRAM than you get a legitimate rival!
We do need to see reviews but this is looking like the first time 4K 60fps or maybe 100fps will be possible at high/ultra settings in current AAA games let alone future. 8k at this point seems completely unrealistic for AAA gaming. Remember the 2080Ti being called a 4K card but switch on RT and it was better suited to 1440p. There will always be a new standard on the horizon but I wouldn’t make a gpu decision now based on 8k as these gpu’s are not going to be up to it.

Sep 13, 2020
Download Windows Media Creation Tool to create a recent Windows 10 install USB key and reinstall the OS on the SSD yes. Make sure the HDD is not plugged when you do that. Only leave the SSD plugged while Windows is installing.

Make sure that your license will work too. If your Windows 10 license is attached to your Microsoft account don't forget to log back in that account after the swap and reactivate your Windows.
With the latest windows, this process now is a lot faster than it used to be. So I recommend if you don't already have windows 10, to get it. It will make installing and setting up the drivers a lot easier. Gone are the days when you had to go look for every driver on the web. Good luck!
We do need to see reviews but this is looking like the first time 4K 60fps or maybe 100fps will be possible at high/ultra settings in current AAA games let alone future. 8k at this point seems completely unrealistic for AAA gaming. Remember the 2080Ti being called a 4K card but switch on RT and it was better suited to 1440p. There will always be a new standard on the horizon but I wouldn’t make a gpu decision now based on 8k as these gpu’s are not going to be up to it.
120 hz 4k are already an issue and 8k 60 hz will be obsolete in 2 years, while the cards GPU can deliver its cables can not, neither can the VRAM. This is why it is perfectly sane to wait at least another 6 months for the 3080 super or ti or whatever with 16 GB and DP 2.0 . likely to cost 1000$. Or Big Navi.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I guess some people missed that Nvidia's 8K claim was unfounded. A TV of that caliber isn't going to have great response times thus the actual fps is going to be closer to 30 and likely lower.

That out of the way, I'm of the mind to wait; I already learned my lesson with early adoption.

120 hz 4k are already an issue and 8k 60 hz will be obsolete in 2 years, while the cards GPU can deliver its cables can not, neither can the VRAM. This is why it is perfectly sane to wait at least another 6 months for the 3080 super or ti or whatever with 16 GB and DP 2.0 . likely to cost 1000$. Or Big Navi.
How is 4k 120Hz an issue with HDMI 2.1? My expectation is the 3080 will push 100+ fps in AAA games at 4K with most settings turned up and that for games that are already released. With 8k being a huge increase in performance required (4 times the number of pixels of 4K) 8k is not going to be feasible for gaming for at least another 2+ gpu generations. We are only just getting GPU's that should keep over 4k 60fps. 8k at this point is marketing waffle.

Since you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Do not discount the FE version, unless you are looking for rgb bling.
The cooler looks great to me and it directs heated gpu air out the back of the case more directly.

Nerzul007

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Since you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Do not discount the FE version, unless you are looking for rgb bling.
The cooler looks great to me and it directs heated gpu air out the back of the case more directly.

I am looking for that "factory" frequency boost on the gpu that asus or gigabyte do with their cards. ALso I don't have an Air cooler on the CPU so the heat will just go right onto the pipes of the cooler which I don't really know if it will affect the temps or not

I think you get fair value from factory overclocked cards.
I would not chase the ultra overclocked versions.

Whatever heat a graphics card generates has to go somewhere.
Aftermarket coolers do a good job of getting heat off of the graphics card, but then they dump it into the case where case cooling needs to deal with it.

From what I see, the FE cooler gets some of that heat directly out through the back of the card.

Nerzul007

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
I think you get fair value from factory overclocked cards.
I would not chase the ultra overclocked versions.

Whatever heat a graphics card generates has to go somewhere.
Aftermarket coolers do a good job of getting heat off of the graphics card, but then they dump it into the case where case cooling needs to deal with it.

From what I see, the FE cooler gets some of that heat directly out through the back of the card.

What about the fan noise?