Mar 3, 2020
Hello all,

I am new for everything about PC Builds. This time I have little bit confusing about MBR or GPT partition for booting my windows 10.
Currently I use GPT partition for this because I found it's much better. But I want new experience and recommendation which one better for booting windows.

My Build Specs:
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
  • Ryzen 5 3500
  • Adata XPG SPECTRIX D60G (2x8GB) 3200 MHZ
  • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB
  • WB Blue 1 TB
  • Galax GTX 1660 Super 6GB
  • be quite! Power U9 600 W
  • Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
To understand why there are 2 you need to get a little more info
Up until 2009 all BIOS only supported MBR. These are what is called Legacy bios. They don't know what a mouse does, so need to be navigated with function keys.
In 2009, UEFI Bios was introduced -UEFI stands for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - it was created to fix the shortcomings of Legacy BIOS
it supports both GPT & MBR, it allows usage of mice and has a modern Graphical interface.

MBR (Master Boot Record) is the disk format all versions of windows used for their boot drives until Windows 8**. It has a max partition count of 4 and max hdd size of 2.2 terrabytes.
GPT (Guid (Global Unique ID) Partition Table) was created to fix the limitations of MBR. Max partitions of 256 per disk amd max disk size of 18.8 Million terrabytes
win 10 defaults to GPT if it recognises the PC supports UEFI
I would stick to gpt since its what you have now. As stated above, on small drives, it makes no difference.

** Win 7 64bit could use it as boot drive, but its earliest I think? not sure about XP 64bit?

Last edited:
Reactions: fadel_new