Question Which part of the GPU is being used when mining crypto currencies? (versus gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I have a RTX 3090.

When I play games on maximum settings. The maximum temperature is 86'C-91'C.

When I mine crypto currencies. The maximum temperature is only 76'C.

So I assume that when mining cryptocurrencies, the GPU doesnt use some of its components fully as opposed to gaming at 4k. Does anyone know exactly which components the GPU uses only when mining? (For example, the GPU only uses the cuda cores for mining and the VRAM is not used at all.)

I do not know for sure, but its more likely that the GPU is not being stressed as much. Crypto mining is a very specific task, that focuses all the cores on doing exactly one type of calculation that does not change, and is a consistent workload. While gaming is a variety load, with the calculations done being much more involved, changing depending on what you are doing, or what the screen needs to display. This is probably why ASICs are better for Crypto mining, because their cores are designed to do nothing but crypto calculations, unlike a regular GPU that is designed for a different purpose, that also happens to work well for mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.