Question which settings to tweak - turn off/on change - Nvidia Asus tuf GPU

techhead1

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2013
Hello, i am trying to assist my son with help on his new GPU that we upgraded from a MSI nvidia 1050ti to ASus Geforce 3070 ti GPU.
we ran DDU uninstall utlity first then installed the new GPU and ran geforce experince install fresh with both drivers and Geforce exp.
everything is working as it should he started to play Apex legends with superior performance.
To note his monitor is a Asus tuf gaming monitor - 144hz tops he pegged out the settings in Apex and it looks awesome

what i am inquirying about is which apps should we install to OC, check temps etc

Msi afterburner? what benchmarking tool is the best? Guru 3d? hardware info?

What settings should we change in the nvidia control panel , turn off anti aliasing?

here are his specs

MB:MSI Z390-A pro MS-7B98
Intel chipset coffee lake - Intel SB Z390
Bios - 1.D0 American megatrends - 01/19/21

Cpu - Intel Core i5 9600k coffee lake , Socket LG1151 LGA
3.7ghz

2 RAM being used corsair DDR4 - 3596 PArt number - CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 dual in slot 2 and 4

GPU - Nvidia Geforce RTX 3070 ti Current drivers/ geforce expernience installed

M2 Samsung 500gb C drive

The recommended application to tweak the video card is MSI Afterburner. You can also use it to check temperature and such, but there are various other tools that can do that too like HWiNFO.

For NVIDIA control panel settings, you don't need to touch anything. Though if you are using GSync/FreeSync, for best results, you need to enable VSync and an FPS limit of about 1-3 below the refresh rate.

I also don't really recommend touching clock speeds. You can tweak things all day until the cows come home, but you're likely only going to get around a <10% boost and that's if everything is optimal. However, that extra speed doesn't necessarily translate to the same amount in actual performance. i.e., a 10% boost in clock speed doesn't actually translate to a 10% boost in frame rate.