Question Why does my computer restart after a couple of minutes of gaming? (Not cpu overheating)

Nov 19, 2020
My pc restarts after about 5 minutes of The Forest and other games that I have to run at lower graphics settings. I also played games that are older and not that demanding, like Mafia 2. It ran for a couple of hours then the pc suddenly restarted. With the forest I monitored the cpu temperature, the max was 50 °C, so i suppose it cannot be the cpu overheating. I think it's the psu, because it is always a kernel power problem when i check it at the event logs after a restart. Also while I play i checked the system temperature in the openhardware software, it was about 50 °C when it shut down, so perhaps the psu fan is not spinning properly? It definitely spins, but i don't think it can spin really fast to cool the system down. I also checked the speedfan software but when I set the sys fan to spin at 100% nothing happens, it spins as it always does, in the bios/uefi when i set the it to maximum speed and the sound doesn't change and it should get noisy because of fast spinning, right? I know that this psu is not silent. Is there a way to test the psu if it's faulty, or just that the fan is faulty?

Nov 19, 2020
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?
AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.90 GHz
8,00 GB (7,43 GB usable) RAM Crucial 1600mhz DDR3
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
AMD Radeon HD 8570D integrated graphics
Im not sure about the psu, i know that it's 450W which is pretty weak, it was installed by a pc service after i killed the prebuilt one a few years ago, but it didn't have problems with it until now.
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+

Nov 19, 2020
What are you system specs?
What are your GPU temps?
AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.90 GHz
8,00 GB (7,43 GB usable) RAM Crucial 1600mhz DDR3
Windows 10 pro 64 bit
AMD Radeon HD 8570D integrated graphics
As i am writing this, the gpu temp as CPUID HWMonitor states is -7 °C (17 °F), i'm not sure how this works, since it's integrated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That temperature indicates an issue (bad sensor or possibly software issue). If it is running, it is certainly warmer than that.

Your PSU should be okay since you are only using the integrated video adapter (would be useful to know exactly what make/model your PSU is...info on label on side of PSU).

This is a dated system, something to keep in mind. Temps above seem okay. Have you tested your memory with an app like memtest?

Nov 19, 2020
That temperature indicates an issue (bad sensor or possibly software issue). If it is running, it is certainly warmer than that.

Your PSU should be okay since you are only using the integrated video adapter (would be useful to know exactly what make/model your PSU is...info on label on side of PSU).

This is a dated system, something to keep in mind. Temps above seem okay. Have you tested your memory with an app like memtest?
I posted a picture of the psu, and i found out its not from a realiable company, i would probably be better of with buying a new one wither if its faulty or not, right?
I will now run the memtest, and when i get the results i will post them, thank you all for your patience.

Nov 19, 2020
Sorry for the late reply, I ran memtest, it all came back good, i guess, it showed that all 4 cpu cores passed 100%, I'm not sure about the RAM test, it didn't show that it failed or it didn't, or I probably didn't do it right. I restarted my pc, booted ok, tested the psu with OCCT only for an hour, and the cpu as well. It didn't crash, it was all fine, i wanted to test the gpu, but i couldn't since it is integrated. I lastly tried the ram, it ran on 100% load for an hour, no issues. I tried to run the game again, after a couple of minutes, it crashed. I went looking for alternative solutions, but it looked like the oldest trick in the book worked, reinstalling the gpu driver. After i did that the game ran fine, it heated up, eventually it stopped at 57C. But I ordered a new PSU anyway, since everyone agreed that it is unreliable, thank you for all your help!
EDIT: I misread the heating values, it wasn't the psu, nor the the whole system, it was cpu's socket in the motherboard, it is kinda confusing, since it showed the cpu's cores' temps as well distinctly, so i guess it wasn't the psu, and it wasn't the motherboard heating up.

Last edited: