Question Why is my download speed slower than the upload speed?

May 23, 2019
Title, pretty much. Paying for 100/100, I have 100/100 on other devices connected to the same router via the same cable, but on this PC I get 5mbit/s down and 110mbit/s up. I'm not downloading anything, I'm not running anything in the background. It's a freshly formatted drive with nothing but windows 10 and Discord installed. Any ideas?

jnsupes

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
After checking another cable, you should also make sure that your network is secure so you don't have any wifi thieves.

I would also suggest double checking your ISP by calling tech support and seeing if their network shows your connection correctly. I have had to call my ISP a few times over the past few years for messing up my connection speeds and just general overloading too many customers on the same networks. Each time it would take a few hours for them to fix the issue, but eventually they fixed it on their end.

So normally after verifying my speedtests and connections are fine with a few devices but my speeds are not right, it ends up being the ISPs fault.

May 23, 2019
Assuming this is wired direct to the router, have you tried a different ethernet cable?
Yes, of course. There are two cables from the router to my PC (aside from those built in to the walls): One from the router to a patch panel, one from an RJ45 socket to the PC. I've tried switching both of them, and this is where it gets properly interesting:
After spotting this issue, I tried switching a cable. No luck. I tried switching the second cable, things worked fine, but it's too short to have the PC where I want it to be. I plug the old ones back while planning my shopping trip for (a) new cable(s). It still works fine. I'm pretty puzzled by this and I decide to switch back to the first combination of cables that was working. It is no longer working. I tried back and forth with 4 different ethernet cables, and I've come to the conclusion that they're all innocent. I now have the first 2 cables plugged in (the ones that were used when I first spotted this issue) and things are working fine. If I go to the patch panel, pull a cable out and plug it back in, it sometimes works swimmingly and sometimes with the limited speed. In other words: I'm properly confused.

After checking another cable, you should also make sure that your network is secure so you don't have any wifi thieves.

I would also suggest double checking your ISP by calling tech support and seeing if their network shows your connection correctly. I have had to call my ISP a few times over the past few years for messing up my connection speeds and just general overloading too many customers on the same networks. Each time it would take a few hours for them to fix the issue, but eventually they fixed it on their end.

So normally after verifying my speedtests and connections are fine with a few devices but my speeds are not right, it ends up being the ISPs fault.

One of the first thing I did was checking the router for connected devices, I found nothing out of the ordinary. I had a few issues with messed up routing before, so I figured the ISP could've messed this one up to. But before I got around to calling them what I wrote above happened.

Thanks for the help, both of you. It's no longer an issue, but if you do manage to figure something out in regards to what's going on I'm interested. Cheers!

Last edited:
Ethernet cables can be really strange when they fail. In a way it would be nice if they just did not work at all. On the cable it can be a wire just slightly loose and when you move it the contact changes. It can also be be the wall jack doing the same thing.

Since you have tried multiple patch cables I would be more suspect of the in wall cabling. Luckily the wire itself seldom fails it is almost always the jacks themselves. There is no simplistic way to test these, the cheap testers will just show you the wires are likely correct but being able to light a led and pass data are quite different things. I would first check to see if there is a obvious loose wire. You can very carefully push the wires down with a small screw driver being careful to only push on the sides and not the center of the connector. You really need a punch down tool.

You could try to pull all the wires out cut off about 1/.2 inch and then punch them all down again. Worse case keystone jacks are only about $5.

If at all possible I would move the pc near the switch/router and test all the patch cable directly so you really are sure it is your in wall cabling.