Oct 8, 2020
Last night i updated my windows, graphics card, and malwarebytes. I then restarted my computer, however, when it turned back on, my monitors did not show the windows screen, my USB keyboard and mouse did not turn on either. the only thing that i could turn on was my USB headphones. I have a Asus G11 CD prebuilt computer and a msi gtx 970. i’ve tried moving wires inside my case to see if it was a loose connections, i’ve tried rotating the USB’s to different ports and nothing works. I know my computer is on as my gpu lights up and i hear fans. does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem?

Solution
Your PSU can only supply 432W max to the 12V lines - for CPU and GPU. It could be causing a problem. You should really by a good quality 500W or more PSU. But I suppose the problem you have is that the PSU connectes to your HP motherboard with a proprietray connector.
You might then need to think about getting a lower power GPU (like a gtx 960).

With a prebuilt PCs such as HP or Dell, you'll have to only use the ram that they recommend or you'll most likely have problems.

So there's a downside to using corporate pre-built PCs. They are usually cheaper but hard to upgrade.

Did you recently make either a change to the ram or the GPU about the time you started having these problems?

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Did you make all these changes in one hit?

Did you make ANY changes to any hardware?

Was the Windows update done by Windows itself? Is Windows activated?
How was the GPU drivers updated?
And was Malwarebytes updated or downloaded?

What's the rest of the spec of your PC?

Is there a motherboard speaker attached?

Does your PC POST - the speaker beeps once?

Oct 8, 2020
Did you make all these changes in one hit?

Did you make ANY changes to any hardware?

Was the Windows update done by Windows itself? Is Windows activated?
How was the GPU drivers updated?
And was Malwarebytes updated or downloaded?

What's the rest of the spec of your PC?

Is there a motherboard speaker attached?

Does your PC POST - the speaker beeps once?

yes, I updated everything then restarted the computer.

I updated windows through the settings app
GPU was updated through the Nvidia application
and Malwarebytes was updated. however, when I went to go update it, it said "install" which I found weird because I felt like it should have said "update". It was through the Malwarebytes application and I doubt it was a virus of some sort. But I could be wrong.

My spec:
16 gigabytes RAM
intel core processor i7-1080
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
ASUS H110M-R - Motherboard
500 watt delta PSU

There is no sign of a speaker unfortunately

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Windows usually updates itself - you can't stop it.
"I updated windows through the settings app "
Does that mean that you went into Windows Setting, Update and Security, Windows Up date and your saw it said Upadte Pending and so then you clicked on Download? Did it download and ask you to do a restart? And did you and the PC did a Restart?
Or did yopu make other changes before doing the restart?

Were you notified that a new GPU driver update was available and you then selected download and then install? Was this before or after the Windows update was done?

Do you have the free version of Malwarebytes?
What prompted you to try to update it?
Do you think it could'ver been this scam - https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2018/05/fake-malwarebytes-helpline-scammer-caught-act/ ?
Was this before or after the Windows update was done?

What makes you think you have an i7 1080 CPU?

Is your ram the ram that the PC came with?
Did you buy the PC new? How long ago?

Did you add the gtx970 to your build?
What was in there before?

Can you post a photo of your PSU label?

Oct 8, 2020
Windows usually update itself - you can't stop it.
"I updated windows through the settings app "
Does that mean that you went into Windows Setting, Update and Security, Windows Update, and your saw it said Update Pending and so then you clicked on Download? Did it download and asks you to do a restart? And did you and the PC did a Restart?
Or did you make other changes before doing the restart?
Were you notified that a new GPU driver update was available and you then selected download and then install? Was this before or after the Windows update was done?

Do you have the free version of Malwarebytes?
What prompted you to try to update it?
Do you think it could'ver been this scam - https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2018/05/fake-malwarebytes-helpline-scammer-caught-act/ ?
Was this before or after the Windows update was done?

What makes you think you have an i7 1080 CPU?

Is your ram the ram that the PC came with?
Did you buy the PC new? How long ago?

Did you add the gtx970 to your build?
What was in there before?

Can you post a photo of your PSU label?

Yes, I went into settings/update and security/windows update then proceeded to click on "check for updates". It said there was an update so I updated it, It then said it required a restart so I figured I should check for any other updates on my system before I restarted my PC. I opened my Nividia GeForce and saw that there was an update for that too, I updated it. I also thought of running a quick virus scan on Malwarebytes, so I opened it then the popup said that it required an update, so I updated that and said it required a restart. After doing all that I then restarted my computer for the first time in this process. The reason why I did all of this was that I had just came home from a week-long trip and wanted everything up to date.

I manually checked for an update on the nividia app, this was after the windows update but before the restart of the windows update.

I have the free version of Malwarebytes
as I opened the application up for a scan I was prompted to update the software.
No, I never went through this or a similar "helpline" scam. I had no problems with this software beforehand.
This was after the windows update but before the restart of the windows update.

Im sorry, I just took another look at the CPU box, its an intel i7 -6700K processor. I just bought this upgrade for my PC 2-3 months ago.

I had bought 1 8gb HyperX RAM sticks almost a year ago, and another one 2-3 months ago. So right now there is no ram in my PC that came with my PC
I bought this NEW prebuilt PC around 4 coming up to 5 years ago.

My friend had this extra GPU and gave it to me for my PC around 2-3 months ago. There was nothing wrong with the GPU as he just bought a new computer and had extra parts such as the GPU. I had a GTX960 before this and it was kinda dying on me.

My PSU label:
JKky6l.jpg

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Your PSU can only supply 432W max to the 12V lines - for CPU and GPU. It could be causing a problem. You should really by a good quality 500W or more PSU. But I suppose the problem you have is that the PSU connectes to your HP motherboard with a proprietray connector.

With a prebuilt PCs such as HP or Dell, you'll have to only use the ram that they recommend or you'll most likely have problems.

So there's a downside to using corporate pre-built PCs. They are usually cheaper but hard to upgrade.

Did you recently make either a change to the ram or the GPU about the time you started having these problems?

Solution
Oct 8, 2020

Okay, Thank you for the tips. I will defiantly look into some PSU's.

I've replaced my RAM and GPU around 2 months ago and just got this problem a day ago. Do you think that I could receive a problem with hardware installment 1-2 months later?